Smith Ice

Smith Ice –  was owned by Leonard & Lillian Smith and  located on Munroe St between Tyng and Oakland St.  The ice house was located at the rear of the property behind the proprietor’s home.  Locate It

Source: Bruce Greeley, Grandson of Leonard & Lillian Smith.

What do you know about Smith Ice?

6 Responses to Smith Ice

1. YES IT WAS AT 47 MONROE ST. THE WHOLE FAMILY AT 1 TIME OR ANOTHER WORKED THERE OR DID SOMETHING THERE WE COULD NEVER JUST HANGOUT GRAMPA WOULD NOT ALLOW THAT. REMEMBER WALKING IN TOO ALL THE LOCAL BARS DELIVERY ICE I WAS PROBLEY 10 OR 11 THEY ALL KNEW MY NAME GRAMDMA OR MY MOM WOULD DRIVE WHAT EVER VEHICLE WAS THERE I WOULD CARRY THEY WOULD GET THE CASH. I WIIL LET MY FAMILY KNOW ABOUT THIS IM SURE THEIR WILL BE PICS. THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME

BRUCE GREELEY 3 March 3, 2010 at 1:16 pm Reply
  2. YOU MENTIONED MR.WELCH [Walsh] WITH HIS FLOWERS HE WAS ALWAYS AT THE ICE HOUSE KEEPING HIS PRODUCE FRESH WE WAS A REALLY NICE GUY.THE NEIHBORS WERE GREAT AS WELL YOU HAD THE DOYLES ON 1 SIDE AND THE QUILLS ON OTHER THEY NEVER GAVE MY GRANDPARENTS A HARD TIME ABOUT BEING IN BUINESS THERE.

BRUCE GREELEY 3 March 5, 2010 at 9:20 am Reply
  3. I lived next door and it was always a treat to have snow in the Summer when we were kids. We would hop the fence and ask Mr. Smith if we could have some of the ice shavings. We would scoop it right off the ground!!! Bruce – it was a good neighborhood!

We would sit on the front steps in the Summer and watch all the cars stopping to buy ice. People would get out of their cars to talk if they knew you. And back then, everybody knew you!

Peg Quill Chase May 18, 2011 at 2:47 pm Reply
  4. While I did not have the Smith Ice experience, I had the next best thing. My Dad worked a bit for Riverside Dairy as a milkman back in the early ’60s and he would bring us kids the snow and ice from his truck (as well as some chocolate milk)….. ah yes, the good old days.

Rollie September 12, 2011 at 5:38 pm Reply
  5. Back in the 60’s, remember my dad and I used to drive over from Salisbury Beach and pick up 10 or 12, 50 lbs bags of cubes twice a day during the summer……..then my mom and I we would repackage them into 10 lbs bags for sale at Shaheen’s package store…….

Bill Shaheen August 21, 2016 at 8:34 pm Reply
  6. Do any know of a Smith Ice House on MIddle Road in Newbury? There is a meadow north of the Adams Farm where a mason-built damming structure is built with a slide gate mechanism to hold back the water accordingly. TY

Jack Rybicki March 23, 2020 at 7:58 am Reply