Donuts and Coffee – Coffee and Donuts

Dandy Donut Shop- located on the traffic circle tel: 465-9066, now Dunkin Donuts. Owned by the Mudgett Family during the 70’s. The owner was also a pioneer league coach for Music Center, but correct me if I’m wrong. Locate It

6 Responses to Donuts and Coffee – Coffee and Donuts

1. Hi there! This comment is in reference to the Dandy Donut Shop located on the traffic circle. My family, the Follansbee’s of Plum Island, leased the donut shop in the 60’s from the Fuller family. My father, Frank, ran the donut shop for several years during the 60’s. We lived on 71st Street, Plum Island, next to Bossy Gillis’s home & a stone throw from the old Coast Guard Station off of 69th Street near the jetty. The donut shop was a family affair. Dad was always waking up early & staying late making ‘the donuts’. Mom would go help out when the shop was short on help or extra busy. My sister Pat (Lutz) ran the front of the shop & knew just about everyone who came in. (Pat now has had an art studio at the Tannery for several years named ” The Artist Playground “). And I would walk down to the donut shop from the high school to help close up the shop & clean.
    One winter during a severe storm Pat & I were working at the shop late providing the snow plow truck drivers with hot coffee, donuts & steamed hotdogs. When it was time to close up we got word that the Plum Island bridge was flooded out as was common back then. The police brought us some coarse wool blankets and my sister & I had to bunker down on top of the 50 lb bags of flour and sleep overnight at the shop.
    I just found your wonderful website & am about to go check out the rest of it! Thank you!
    Cheryl (Follansbee) Hoxie
    Exeter, NH

Cheryl (Follansbee) Hoxie September 29, 2008 at 1:18 pm Reply
  2. Thank you Cheryl for your history on this donut shop. I love hearing the history of others! I wonder how long ago this donut shop opened? Great entry!

Shawn G Mod September 29, 2008 at 10:52 pm Reply
  3. Not a donut shop, Leightons on Market and Pleasant Streets was a real bakery. I was in there one late afternoon a few years ago and was surprised to hear that it was the last day of business. I had been going in there since I was old enough to venture to that part of town on my own. In later years my son enjoyed picking out a fresh bakery treat when we were in town. We had made this an almost weekly ritual. We bought several items on that last day and saved one cookie in a labeled Leighton’s bag, storing it in our freezer…

p. j. nichypor September 24, 2009 at 6:06 pm Reply
  4. The Donut Shop in the circle. My mom tripped on the door frame when she was a little girl…for some reason that’s all I could think of everytime I went in there.

Chris Becker May 25, 2010 at 12:08 am Reply
  5. The Mudgetts..Barbara and Henry.. did in fact run the donut business circa 70s..best honeydipped donuts!!

pat maguire January 10, 2011 at 11:17 pm Reply
  6. Henry Mudgett – another Pioneer Leaguer….. nice guy. Hope he is well….

Rollie September 12, 2011 at 7:03 pm Reply