General Comments

Help us improve this site.  Please add praises and critizism.  We look forward to both.

Honestly,

Shawn

This entry was posted on Saturday, June 13th, 2009 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

32 Responses to “General Comments”

1. jfrost on August 29th, 2009 at 11:00 am

Shawn ,
    Great job on the site . Are you limited by bandwidth ? Be nice to see more photos added and perhaps a photo section where users could post and or comment ? Also I know it is before our time , but there is nothing on the railroad / train station in town . I know I could get some decent photos that fit the 1950 on thru .

2. Shawn G - Moderator on September 24th, 2009 at 9:21 pm

Thanks John I have added a Railroad post. I did have a couple of requests recently. I am working on comment photo posting. I’d like to see that too!

You can always add pics to comments the html way below for now.

3. J. Frost on September 25th, 2009 at 7:56 pm

The html way seems a bit confusing . I can always send you pics and you can add them if its easier ?

4. J. Frost on September 26th, 2009 at 7:49 am

Is there a way to add a “browse” tab ? And perhaps limit file size to say 150kb ? That way your bandwidth wouldn’t get eaten up by ginormous photo files .

5. p. j. nichypor on September 26th, 2009 at 10:48 am

I have a bunch of slides I shot through the early and mid 80’s of what remained of the railroad in and around the city. Most are of infrastructure, forgotten and grown over or semi ripped up. If I can get these together and scan them, is there okay space on this site to post 50 to perhaps 100 images? Some of it would put you to sleep. However, I got some great photos of the Hancock and Chestnut St. bridges before and during demolition. I’ll start sorting them out….

6. Shawn G - Moderator on September 27th, 2009 at 12:08 am

P.J. – I have plenty of available space on the server. If I had to get more server space – that means the site is getting USE…and that’s cool!

7. Shawn G - Moderator on September 27th, 2009 at 12:13 am

John you can send me anything you want loaded. Any pic you send me I re-size to about 800×600 or smaller file size about 80K. Unless the detail needs to be shown I will go larger. I am experimenting with a file pic brower that will be up soon.

8. J. Frost on September 27th, 2009 at 8:59 am

Would it be good to see what P.J. has for pics . I can see what I have of the same areas when it was in its “hayday” and still in use . These are someone elses photos and would probably have to credit them . I do know the gentleman that took the photos and could get plenty . Some are B&W and some in color .

9. J. Frost on September 27th, 2009 at 9:03 am

P.J. , would love to see the photos you have of the “remnants” of NBPTS rail system in the 80s . I remember it quite well , and would love to see your pics .

10. p. j. nichypor on October 19th, 2009 at 3:14 pm

I’m not having a lot of success in copying my color slides. Anyone out there in “Newburyportland” have any suggestions? Mine are “film” images on slide film vs. digital images. I tried digitaly copying them directly from a slide viewer and the results “suck”. Need some help at pnichypor@yahoo.com Thanx….

11. p. j. nichypor on October 19th, 2009 at 3:14 pm

12. p. j. nichypor on October 19th, 2009 at 3:14 pm

13. Shawn G - Moderator on October 20th, 2009 at 8:34 pm

PJ you’ll need to have them copied at a professional lab. Here is one you could use. http://www.ultracolorlab.com/ Depending on how much $ you want to spend there are a few options. I’d send you to Fotomat at the Port Plaza for a cheaper option, but it’s been bulldozed as you know.

14. p. j. nichypor on October 23rd, 2009 at 1:16 pm

How can I email some photo images to this site? pnichypor@yahoo.com

15. Shawn G - Moderator on October 29th, 2009 at 6:53 pm

P.J you can email photos to questions@nbptma.com along with any notes and comments.

16. Shawn G - Moderator on October 29th, 2009 at 11:28 pm

P.J If you become an author for the sight you can upload pics all by yourself…Let me know if you’re interested.

Shawn

17. sandy on October 31st, 2009 at 9:53 pm

the boy who was electrocuted at marchs hill was john abrahams,

18. Joan Sewall on November 2nd, 2009 at 10:33 am

Where can one find info on the Curtis School ,Ashland St . ,Newburyport,MA. It had grades 1-4.

19. J. Frost on November 2nd, 2009 at 7:26 pm

Sandy ,
    Good memory ! I remember many a time hearing the story of that while sledding with friends at Marchs Hill . Always took a wide berth of that power station after that , especially with that loud “hum” it emitted . Could never figure out though what would possess someone to get near it …
    The winter was always great at Marches . We’d spend the morning shoveling snow thoughout the neighborhood …then grab our trusty sleds ( of various types ) and head for Marchs Hill …We’d spend a good portion of our “shoveling” money at Richdales on whatever junkfood looked appetizing . We’d stay till dark , then walk back home …not looking forward to school the next day . Lots of winter hours spent there . Can’t remember how many “sleds” we broke there . Sometimes we’d “borrow” one we’d find along the way …and deposite its “remains” back in the snowbank we found it in ( a bit more worn than we found it )

20. Shawn G - Moderator on November 6th, 2009 at 12:03 am

Does anyone remember the Curtis School on Ashland St? I know of the Currier School on Forester St near Ashland. The Currier School is listed under schools with a map link.

21. Joan Sewall on November 6th, 2009 at 10:04 am

Hi Shawn, The Curtis School was on Ashland St., it was grades 1-4 and then we went to the Currier School for 6-8. I know it was replaced by the Belleville School now the Francis Bresnahan School. I’m looking for dates when it was built ,last used and then torn down.Also looking for info on the teachers.

22. p. j. nichypor on November 25th, 2009 at 5:02 pm

Just a comment or two on this site. In looking through other supposed reference sites on Newburyport, I have come to some conclusions. Most of those it seems, are written by people who for some reason, use a bit of creative license in their interpretation of the city’s history. I have lived in a few places around the country. I have been impressed by some of those places.

I made a habit of letting the real “Locals” tell the stories.

They had the best grasp of what the place was really about and how things came to be. Not that someone who moves to a community and becomes so impressed with them self for having done so can’t tell a story or two also… But to me, the genuine history comes from the stuff handed down from past generations of native families. That’s what makes what I read on this site so entertaining. It’s the real deal. I had to laugh at reading some of the crap on the wikipedia writings on Newburyport… One in particular was some clown writing that the present I.C. rectory building on the corner of High and Green Streets is the original Newburyport High School building. Fortunately, someone with a little bit more on the ball corrected that. History, if not documented in some way, is merely speculative. And should be taken with a modicum of doubt. What’s great though is that some of the things I have been reading by this site’s contributors has for the most part been pin point. I haven’t read anything about how wonderful the theme-park like Newburyport is by anyone who actually came from one of the old families. Most of what is covered here has been a factual remembrance of a very real city of neighborhoods. Our stories, the ones about how we lived and how some of us died, are the true history. I read a lot about the great downtown and the equally fantastically restored waterfront and about a small group of glory hounds still patting themselves on their backs. They have embraced a few select up and coming glory hounds to carry on their legacy and make sure none of us forget who the are. A very small tip of the hat to you people. I know I’m not alone in being less than impressed with how things have turned out in Newburyport. It has become something it was never intended to be. And it has been at the cost of hundreds of native families who have made a steady exodus from the city. Call me old fashioned for appreciating the past, but take a good long look at what Newburyport has become. The results are not due to an evolution of change. It is the result of cosmetic surgery on a community. Newburyport in its current state is a sliced up, cheaply grafted replica. A Hollywood set with a bunch of method actors and extras having taken up temporary residence in its dwellings. I know, that sounds harsh. But so does having to up-root from the family homestead because you’re priced out of town. Don’t exalt those who have achieved celebrity status and have enough money to buy a house anywhere they want. That is as phony and hollow as the city itself. Please know that there are some folks who moved to Newburyport to make it a home for themselves and who plan to stay just like our families did. These are the ones who should be getting patted on the back. Their children are the new natives. And for better or worse, they didn’t have to be on a TV show or have written a book. They aren’t the ones tossing rose petals in their own paths. Am I anti celebrity? No… I just have different expectations. My idea of a celebrity? Perhaps someone who has actually done something for the good of their neighbor or their community without expecting anything in return… Be kind and be good. Not just to the family next door. But to the whole community. Voice your concerns about having a real downtown that you can afford to shop at. How about demanding that you pay less to live there? Why can’t Newburyport be all about being a part of the city as a community and not because the tourist guides speak highly of a day trip there. Next time you decide to take a walk down town, bring a lunch with you. Sit at one of the tables that are placed on the sidewalks you as taxpayers paid for, and enjoy your egg salad sandwich from home. By all refuse to move if ordered to do so. It is your sidewalk… Next time your trying to enjoy the waterfront by taking a stroll on the boardwalk, tell that tourist to pick up their discarded fudge box and demand they respect “Your” city. Best yet, walk right into the mayor’s corner office and tell him or her what’s wrong and ask how they will fix it. Remember, they are paid civil servants on your payroll… Make some Newburyport history of your own.

23. p. j. nichypor on December 9th, 2009 at 10:03 pm

Some things that bother me; Getting a strange look from some “Carpetbagger” grocer when I ask for “Peppersteak”. Getting the same reaction when I request a “Frappe”. Having anything other than the neighborhood or the actual clam flats referred to as “Joppa”. Old railroad land “Encroachment”. Getting bounced around from one municipal office at city hall, to the next when nobody wants to give me a real answer. Having a mayor ignoring enforceable city codes, ( In person )… Overcrowding in the harbor, ( Looks like Hong Kong out there in the summer ). Designer coffee “Shoppes”, ( Did I spell it the pretentious way? ). The fact that they haven’t put a dome over “Disney-buryport” downtown. Being told “Quiet on the set” when standing on a public way… Tourists and worse, drunken tourists… People who would rather have a school bus get slammed by a train rather than have to hear those “Pesky” train horns. And, anybody that makes the poor choice of calling Newburyport “Charming”…

24. Shawn G - Moderator on December 13th, 2009 at 4:38 am

This was transferred from the NBPTMA.com face book site.

Sharon Higgins Dunning: I can remember in the sixties when my parents bought the house that I still live in today; before Low Street had zillions of homes, across from us was just woods and swamp land and where the corn fields are today used to be cow pastures. We sometimes would have cows on our front lawn when they would get loose. I am not… sure if it was the Colby Farm at that time or not. I also can remember going to Hyman’s shoe store for school shoes when they were located at the bottom of Green and Merrimac Street. That is now a parking lot. The fitness center that is on Pleasant Street used to be Port Cinema. Great old time movie house. That was when they still had ushers who would walk the isles with flashlights during the movie. In the seventies downtown had lots of great stores that people actually shopped in for everyday clothes. Prays was mostly for women and home, Krays was mostly for men, Puritan’s I think was women’s longerie, Pat & Pam’s was for kids.
    March 15 at 3:30pm · Comment · LikeUnlike · View Feedback (1)Hide Feedback (1) · Report

25. J. Frost on January 6th, 2010 at 7:49 pm

PJ ,
    Well said . I visit Newburyport once or twice a year and simply have to shake my head …I try to avoid the summertime “Disneyburyport” …and forget about the waterfront . It looks like you could walk across the Merrimac , by stepping from boat to boat and not get your feet wet .

26. chanson on February 21st, 2010 at 11:04 pm

I am in my mid 30’s and my family goes back several generations in Newburyport. I have been reading all the posts on this site and it got me thinking about how much change people I grew up with saw. We were the last generation to go downtown for everyday items. As we grew older, more and more of the old stores gave way to what is down there now. We are the youngest people who know what it was like then. My father told me story after story about what NBPT was like in the 40s and 50s and reading the posts here made me laugh because I heard most of the stories many times when I was younger. My grandparents were Mamie (Perkins) Cashman and George J. (Scudgy) Cashman. They lived all over the Southend then Plum Island and ultimately Newbury near Parker River. They died when I was younger and I would like any information any of you may have. Scudgy ran a taxi service called Joppa Taxi? Thanks.

27. chanson on February 21st, 2010 at 11:10 pm

Portsmouth NH seems to be what NBPT could have been. A mix of tourist trap stores with t shirts and coffee cups as well as places normal people can shop without feeling out of place in their own home. Portsmouth has a similar look but with a feeling of still being real. Not as pretentious.

28. J Bateman on December 15th, 2010 at 8:18 pm

Remember well the Curtis School. It was on Ashland St where the Apartments are now. Lived up the st Teachers were Gr1 Mrs Perkins,Gr2 Miss Hill,Gr4 Miss Goodwin. Then to the Currier School Gr4 Mrs Durepo, Gr5 Mrs Lawler, Gr6 Ms Cocorian (Sp ?) then on to Currier Annex at the High School, where we moved from class to class. Had 4 rooms on the first floor toward Summit Pl wing. Finally met up with “those kids” from JOPPA..
    The downtown was a great place to visit, with great stores like Peavey’s in the square and Cashman’s where Darby Reardon would help pick out sporting goods.Lunt & Kelly’s on Pleasant St before they moved to State St into the old Collis Chevrolet building. The place to hang out was The Port Rec, for either bowling or Roller Skating. Enough for now will check in later for more memories….

29. Jerry Mosesian on June 10th, 2011 at 1:21 pm

Just found this site surfing for something else. Really enjoyed the tripown memory
    lane.

30. Rollie on September 12th, 2011 at 5:36 pm

I can sympathize with the post by Sharon Higgins – I was her neighbor up the street. My Dad actually sold her brother Mike a used black VW bug back in the day. While I miss Newburyport, I miss it as it was – not as it is.

31. pjnichypor on May 11th, 2017 at 2:48 pm

I’m trying to ‘register’ as a contributor/author… Maybe I’m not doing this right, can’t get the site to accept my ‘password’. Help… Thanks Peter N.

32. pjnichypor on May 11th, 2017 at 2:48 pm

I’ve got a ton of photos I’d love to share….