Market Square

I grew up in the square, top floor over the wine and checks, had the best spot to see it all, the roof was my yard, my dad played with his band, at the hotel, across from the fire house, and the moose and at the peppermint lounge, at the beach, i also lived over dedes, had to come in from inn street side, right before the fur store, i could fill a book on down town, good old days !

P_515.jpg (125 KB)

1.jpg (214 KB)

P_53.jpg (221 KB)

P_73.jpg (109 KB)

P_693.jpg (282 KB)

This post was submitted by driscoll.

This entry was posted on Sunday, October 10th, 2010 and is filed under A Little Further Out Of Town, Featured, Market Square, Opinion / Editorials. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

9 Responses to “Market Square”

1. Shawn G - Moderator on October 10th, 2010 at 2:13 am

Very nice post and pictures. Thanks for posting!

2. Helen Terry on October 24th, 2010 at 10:16 pm

Born in Newburyport……now in Venice Florida……think this site is one of the best

3. Pat frost on January 17th, 2011 at 12:20 pm

I remember your Dad .. Nice pic of your mom Dave..
    NIce pics .
    Long Time no see.. hope all is well with you ..

4. Earle (Mike) McIntyre on January 17th, 2011 at 1:11 pm

Spent most of my life in that square. Sold papers (The Record) on the main corner. Ran up and down those streets night and day. The memories I have of (all) of Newburyport.

5. Earle (Mike) McIntyre on January 17th, 2011 at 1:13 pm

Which Driscoll is this. I have been trying to locate “SKIPPER” for years.

6. Pat frost on January 17th, 2011 at 3:01 pm

Mike I think it is young.. David, . and if your looking for sSkipper his last name is Demand i believe ..

7. dave driscoll jr on March 20th, 2011 at 6:58 pm

pat. i talked to my mom,she told me your my first cousin,she is living in wells maine,skipper is living out west some place, iv been tringing to find some of the guys in my dads band for years,the guy on the bass was bob ? he worked for newburyport news for years, to bad there,s not a chat room here ! sure would be nice hooking up with long lost friends.and trading some pics,

8. Cheryl Follansbee on December 8th, 2013 at 2:42 pm

Hi Dave, Sorry that I’m a year late finding this post you wrote. But if you try Facebook “Newburyport History Buffs” https://www.facebook.com/groups/28280126781/ there are many Newburyporters there that would love to say Hi. Merry Christmas!

9. MARK EALY on July 14th, 2014 at 12:01 am

I remember sitting in the square with my dad Irving Ealy and my mom Doris Ealy and Melvin around and Richard Miller and so many others wow what a great site!