Churches

St Louis De Gonzague (French)-

Gerard Darcia

Gerard A. Dacier

Located on Federal st.  The site consisted of the church, rectory, and school building.  The French church was closed in 1999 while Father Raymond Ploured was the priest.  I believe the cornerstone of the church says 1911.

Local Parish Mergers and Closures.

26 1998 St. Joseph (Territorial), Amesbury
Sacred Heart (French), Amesbury
Merger of  2 parishes to form a new parish, Holy Family
27 1998 Our Lady of Pity (French), Cambridge
Suppressed as a parish
28 1998 St. Joseph (French), Haverhill
St. Michael (Polish), Haverhill
St. Rita (Territorial), Haverhill
St. George (Territorial), Haverhil
Merger of 4 parishes to form a new parish, All Saints
29 1999 St. Louis de Gonzague (French), Newburyport
Suppressed as a parish
This entry was posted on Sunday, March 1st, 2009 and is filed under Churches. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

7 Responses to “Churches”

1. Bob on January 10th, 2010 at 10:06 pm

We went to the Boy Schouts at St. Louis de Gonzague … but is anyone from People’s United Methodist?

2. Chris Becker on May 25th, 2010 at 1:09 am

MaryAnn Swochak, Brian McCarthy and I used to sing at masses there. MaryAnn’s Dad was our accompanist on guitar. Fun times! I developed a total crush on MaryAnn, then made the mistake of letting her know 😛

3. Chris Becker on May 25th, 2010 at 1:11 am

I went to the Immaculate Conception tho as my parish. I remember Fr. Gosselin, and Fr. Sherry. Fr. Sherry was so cool, he even smoked cigars around us (outdoors of course) after CCD

4. Rollie on September 12th, 2011 at 6:53 pm

Immaculate Conception – Father Lane (always ended hi sermons with a joke, usually a good Irish one)

Father Ritchie – loved my Mom’s spaghetti

Several other priests as well – one of whom was having an affair with a woman who sat in the first pew and was drummed out back in the early 80’s. I also served as an acolyte (alter boy) at the church and got to serve a Mass for Archbishop Cardinal Medeiros.

St. Louis De Gonzague – Father Dacier and Father Plourde

5. Nick on January 13th, 2015 at 9:55 am

Immaculate Conception – where a well liked priest ran off with one of our nuns. They got married, I believe. The nuns themselves seemed to be clueless as to what they were. They exchanged habits for lay clothes, wore makeup, smoked, moved out of the convent and rented an apartment – sheesh, what a lousy time to have been a Catholic. Traditions, discipline, continuity, a sense of certainty, all thrown out the window in favor of a touchy-feely “new is best” mentality that has left a lot of us foundering as Catholics to this day.

6. Fran on April 16th, 2016 at 10:57 am

I went to the French School in the 50’s. Does anyone remember it?

7. Karon on May 16th, 2016 at 12:13 am

Father Ritchie was the BEST! I also remember Father Lane and when he passed away. I went to school there as well and when they had Father Lane’s wake we all went. I forget what grade I was in, but I was pretty young and it was my first time seeing a dead person. Kind of freaked me out as a kid because Father Lane was such a sweet man to us kids. I remember one Sunday it was standing room only at the back of the church (this was maybe 1983), and I fainted. Luckily I was with a couple of friends and my boyfriend at the time, they helped me out of there. When I became a First Responder I found out that it was because when I was young I would stand straight locking my knees, this has a weird affect on the body and you can faint. And I just thought it was the mass.