A Little Further Out Of Town

A Little Further Out of Town
As a Newburyporter you probably remember…
Amesbury, Ma
Merrill’s Car Wash – Located at the split of Main St and Merrill St. This was an all wooden structure coin operated do it yourself car wash. I think it was called Merrill’s Car Wash. Locate It

Salisbury Beach, Ma

Frolics 1979
Frolics 1979

The Frolics Ballroom – In its heyday this place saw the likes of Sinatra, Liberace and Aerosmith. With more bands going to the club casino at Hampton Beach, the Frolics hosted low life acts such as GG Alin, which as I see it, was the nail in the coffin for this venue in the Mid 1980’s. Curtains please! Locate It

Joe’s Playland – Located at Salisbury Beach for over 90 years. Locate It Website HERE

Leslie West of Mountain

The Frolics Leslie West of Mountain

Dream Machine– All the cool kids worked at Dream Machine. I never worked there. I worked at Waterfront Farms in Newbury.Locate It

Kon Tiki – This was a small bar that had many local bands playing. LocateIt

5 O’Clock Club – I guess it’s always 5 O’Clock at this bar. Some would beg to differ. To some it may have always seemed roughly 2am O’Clock. Locate It

Tic Toc Club – It’s no longer ticking. Locate It

The Amusement Park

Salisbury Beach

Salisbury Beach, Fun Land & Cavalcade Fun Games

The park’s name has changed over the years.

Ocean Park – 1950’s

Shaheen’s Fun-O-Rama – Owned/operated by Roger Shaheen in the 1970’s Locate it

Shaheens Fun Park – 1970’s It has now reverted back to a parking lot as it once was prior to the park.

Pirates Fun Park – 1980 – 90’s The last amusement park at this location. Locate It

Shaheen's Fun Park

Shaheen's Fun Park

Salisbury Bridge Rd

The Turnbuckle – Located on Bridge Rd. This was a bar that had the first

known mechanical bull to ride.

This entry was posted on Wednesday, March 4th, 2009 and is filed under A Little Further Out Of Town, Amusement Parks, Auto, Bars Clubs & Pubs, News. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

33 Responses to “A Little Further Out Of Town”

1. dmeaton on October 1st, 2008 at 9:01 pm

Does anyone remember Shaheens (sp?) pool? It was in Salisbury on Beach road?

2. D.A.Kuse on October 2nd, 2008 at 8:42 am

Yes mdeaton ..I remember The Shaheens.you and I use to go swimming there..with a few other friends..would walk over from Newburyport..I want to say it cost .35 cents,when you could get a pizza and soda at Nicks for .35 cents

3. dmeaton on October 2nd, 2008 at 10:14 pm

Hhhhmmmm… I remember buying a grilled cheese sandwich and a chocolate milk at NIck’s PIzza and it cost me $.25, Rent was $5.50 a week my parents rented half a house three floors with full walk in basement it had 5 bedrooms, livingroom and a kitchen. Imagine paying $5.50 a week for rent…

4. Rick Eck on March 18th, 2009 at 2:16 pm

Before it was the Turnbuckle, the bar was called the Rusty Nail(early to mid 70s), and little further down the street toward Salisbury center was the Clover Club. Both very popular local “dives” at that time.

5. dmeaton on March 18th, 2009 at 5:22 pm

The Lil’ Shanty on Rt1 near where Jays fence is now. Golden Swan. up the road and I think the name was JD’s Connection on the corner of Rt1 and 286.

6. Joyce on March 30th, 2009 at 12:46 pm

Can someone please remind me of the name of the long-ago ice cream/eatery in the building that’s now The Monkey’s Fist? And also the department store that used to be where Nicole Marie’s is?

I remember both from when I was younger but on a recent visit with relatives, the original business’ names ecaped me!

7. T on March 31st, 2009 at 5:07 pm

Was that Bergeson’s (sp?) where the Monkey Fist is?

8. p.j. nichypor on May 26th, 2009 at 9:18 pm

Prays was the dept. store on Pleasant St. Kray’s men’s store was next door.

9. p.j. nichypor on May 26th, 2009 at 9:22 pm

Prays was the dept. store on Pleasant St. It was connected to Kennedy’s food store, had a down-stairs, shoe dept., etc. Kray’s store was located next door i what had for years, been Lunt & Kelly’s hardware, ( good toy dept. ).

10. p.j. nichypor on May 26th, 2009 at 9:27 pm

The Monkey’s Fist was Bergeson’s, an icecream and light meals restaurant on the corner of Inn St. at Market Square. Prior to that, the corner had been occupied by Peavey’s Hardware, (also a good toy dept.). This was back in a time when the downtown area actually had stores that sold practical items. And stores didn’t vanish over-night due to super high rents.

11. p.j. nichypor on September 2nd, 2009 at 1:53 pm

Not actually out of town, but right on the border was/is the “Circle”. The route 1 traffic circle and the businesses and infrastructure in and around it is worth mention. Long before it was home to the courthouse and 1/4 dozen franchises, the circle was a busy place. Some of the establishments I remember off hand include the A&P grocery store where the new courthouse is now. Giant Value grocery store on the other side and a bit further up State St. Labadini’s restaurant in the same parking lot. An auto dealership where Lunt & Kelly’s is now. The donut shop was on the opposite corner. A gas station, ( questionable inspection stickers? ) was where Courtyard Roast Beef is. Around the circle heading toward Boston was, I believe, WNBP radio station offices and broadcast studio. Behind that was the Georgetown Sand & Gravel facility. The current T commuter rail station is there now. Badger Farms Dairy and ice cream stand occupied the white building just before the crumbling overpass that brought traffic over the old B&M tracks. Remember Insero Motors in the same location? Al Goldberg’s Junkyard was over the town line in Newbury. On the northbound side was Jake Checkoway’s oil tanks along with some of his older oil delivery trucks. After the overpass and back on the level, was Circle Finishing. The buildings from that business are gone now. They were destroyed in a fire of “suspicious origin”, like a lot of things in Newburyport… At one point in time the Stagecoach Tavern stood on the eastern side of the circle. It was for years, one of the last watering holes on a Friday or Saturday night for one or several “last” calls before completing the night’s ritual with a visit to the Beef Corral, (extra sauce on those super beefs please…). What a way to end a night out after being “over served” at any of the two dozen bars and clubs in town. Ah, the good old days…

12. p.j. nichypor on September 3rd, 2009 at 3:39 pm

Back in my younger days, my friends and I relied on our bicycles to get us to places beyond practical “foot” travel. The old railroad bed, ( still in use at the time…) was single track with a kind of “roadway” running along side of it. This was like a “super highway” to us kids. It led us out to such distant places as Devil’s Den and Old Town Hill in Newbury. It was way too cool to be able too ride with your buddies to Marches Hill and then follow the not too smooth trail to places normally out of our usual range. We would ride to such “exotic” locations as the southern end of Plum Island. One favorite point of interest was the Friendly’s Ice Cream stand in Haverhill next to J.M. Fields. Or the Rock’s Village Bridge to gaze upon the “scene of the crime” from the old Clark murder we had heard tell of, many years before. Supposedly, Mrs. Clark had “done in” her husband and with the help of an unknown accomplice, had weighted the corpse down with all manner of chains and other stuff, and dumped the body off the bridge… Other places were also with-in our sphere of travel. Our grandparents house at the end of Mechanics St. in West Newbury. How “neat” was it to be able to ride seven or eight miles to a store to buy a “Slim Jim”, a ten cent bag of Humpty Dumpty barbecue chips, or a sour pickle, sold not in a sealed plastic pouch for two bucks, but out of a big jar for a dime… We considered a ride to Mr. “K’s” near Atkinson Common for a “Frappe” to be a short if some-what routine ride. We all had “geared” 3 or more speed bikes then. My best buddy “Murph” had a 5 speed “stingray” style, with a sissy-bar. I had my prized Royce Union “English” 3-speed. Back then, our bikes were extensions of us. They got us to places we couldn’t get to usually. Mom and dad didn’t drive kids everywhere back then. If we wanted to get someplace, we walked or rode…

13. p.j. nichypor on September 4th, 2009 at 3:17 am

If you drove along side the river in the Point Shore section of Amesbury 40years ago, you’d notice a remnant of even earlier days. The roadway through here was of concrete slab construction. A single set of trolley tracks were visible for years winding along one side or the other. The tracks ran from just past the route 95 overpass to the PowWow River bridge. They did continue unseen beneath Main St. for some distance. During road work in the mid 80’s, the tracks on Main St. from the bridge to about route 110, were torn up. The old Amesbury car barn still stands on Clinton St. And the Merrimack car house still exists as that towns fire house. There is still a good amount of street rail infrastructure in and around Newburyport if you look for it. The sub station for Mass N.E. is still standing on Bridge Rd. on Rings Island.

14. p. j. nichypor on September 24th, 2009 at 11:45 am

There were some places in and about Newburyport that were “worthy” locations to venture to and hang out with your friends. Among the venues was March’s Hill and Oak Hill. The latter used to have a dirt cliff near the old water tower that was a blast to ride down on a bicycle to the “desert like” surface at the bottom next to the rail road tracks. Further out those tracks and within reasonable “hiking” or “biking” distance was Devil’s Den and Kent’s Island. In this case, the latter had been the site of the home of John P. Marquand, ( 1938 Pulitzer Prize for the novel “The Late George Apley”…). I guess to we kids, his “Mr. Moto” spy novels were of more interest. We never ventured down the causeway to the island. I think that it was posted… At any rate, Mr. Marquand had died in 1960 and left the property to his family, who in turn sold it to the Commonwealth in the early 1970’s. The state installed a “State Trooper” as caretaker on the property until late decade. The huge house stood through most of the 80’s and was finally “razed” in 1989, ( way to go Massachusetts). I imagine that the property had become a burden and possibly threatened one of some state “hacks” several “pensions”… So down it came… I hear that some of the furnishings from the mansion had been re-located to the Maritime Museum at the Custom House on Water Street. Of course Newburyport and the Commonwealth have had a bad track record when it comes to preservation. It seems that if a “higher up”, ( State Rep.? ) can’t get an “in-law” or a “cousin” the “juicy” contract or the customary “kick-back”, a structure can very quickly loose “landmark” status, ( Inn Street, Merrimack St., Unicorn Street, Elbow Lane. and on a state level, T Wharf, Scollay Square, The West End…) I am quite seriously surprised that some of our old “haunts” haven’t been sucked up by greed driven developers. Hey, wait, where did Parker Field dis-appear too? The old “Alms House” at North Atkinson and Low Streets was a “cool” structure. My father and I used to go there to look around and then load up the car with bricks for our walkway. It too is gone… Much of the waterfront from the “sea wall” on Water Street to Market Square has undergone some major changes since it was probably one of, if not the best places to explore and play at when we were kids in the 60’s and early 70’s. I include this location because at that time, it was possible to walk behind the old Central Fire Station in the Square and walk all the way to Newbury and Rowley on the rail bed. Even Byfield was with-in “Nordic” skiing distance along the old “Georgetown” rail bed. It was pretty “sweet” to walk down Franklin Street the short distance to the grade crossing on Water Street at the sea-wall, pop on a pair of cross country skis and go for miles into other towns. Such a journey present day would be frustrated by the blatant land encroachment beginning at Water Street and continuing along Harrison Street and beyond. It would seem that the former B&M railroad property has been bought up, piece-meal with the intent of converting the “right of way” into a “rails to trails” use for “everybody” to enjoy. Sounds great right? But just suppose that a “Greedy” neighbor or two has blocked access and in some cases actually built a fence or even landscaped over the rail bed… The good taxpayers in Newburyport have helped “foot” the bill for the recent acquisition of two parcels of land that were former B&M property in the south end. I checked it out to verify the sale price,( in the tens of thousands…) . In a “package” deal, land was bought at Oak Hill and a smaller triangle of property was included and located at Harrison Street. Right next to where the rail “right of way” begins to cross Harrison. If this land that was for decades, the property of the railroad, (confirmed by an inquiry to that entity’s property office…) and said parcel is now under “PUBLIC” ownership, then why is it fenced in as to imply private ownership. Further, how is it possible for a yard to be “annexed” over the actual rails still present but now “under” some one’s yard. The city “officials” all the way to the “corner” office on Green Street have been made aware of this,( “Illegal”…) land grab . Not a big deal has been the reaction. I am going to take full advantage of this too. My plan is to grab a piece of “TAX FREE” land for my own use. City Hall implies that it’s “O.K.” for one or two residents, so it’s got to be O.K. for “everyone” else too… See you all on Harrison Street….

15. p. j. nichypor on November 11th, 2009 at 10:01 pm

Travel on route 1A over the Parker river and across the Newbury marsh to the Rowley town line. On the left side is the Pikle farm, across from it is Redgate Road. There exists a large open space beyond a row of a few houses. My late Aunt used to comment on the large field as we drove past it in years gone. “That was our farm” she would say. The house, barn, and all of the out-buildings are long gone. The family homestead burned to the ground some time in the 1930’s. I guess back then, not too many folks had a telephone. The fire got going and soon the place was ablaze. The smoke or the fire itself must have looked bad for someone either driving by or perhaps it could be seen from the firehouse. Whatever the reason for the dispatching of fire trucks, they arrived in time to dowse the remains. My Father,I Was told, had lost his Guinea Pig to the conflagration. The farm itself was a total loss. The family moved to Newburyport, where my Grandfather opened a small store in a house opposite where Tony’s Market was, years later. According to my Aunt’s recollection, the neighbors, mostly Polish, Russian, and other eastern Europeans, would not shop at the store. The supposed reason was that they did not want to see my Grandfather get “Rich” … Now I don’t know if that’s exactly how things went down. But having grown up two generations later in the South End, and having dealt with some of the old families, I am inclined to believe the story. My Aunt died a couple of years ago. I found the map or plans of the old farm in Rowley as I was cleaning out her attic. The 89 acres had been a financial drain on them and was sold to the Pikles. I in turn had to sell her half of a duplex because a particular agency of the government, ( or should I say People’s Republic of Massachusetts..) Massachusetts claimed a lien of nearly 90 thousand dollars on the property due to an over payment for medicare or something to due with her out of home care… After all had been said and done with regard to satisfying the hungry lien-holders, I made a “special” un-announced visit to the office of the “agency”, located in the old Gilchrist Dept. store building in downtown Boston. I wanted to personally thank them for their advice to me to sell the property or suffer additional and expensive “Interest” on top of what was owed. I stood toe to toe with the man who had for months, referenced his agency’s interest in the property as a “Criminal” investigation… His eyes were big when he stepped from the protection of his office and faced me in the lobby. I looked him in the eye and told him that the agency had gotten its wish. He asked what I meant. I replied ” My Aunt is Dead… You got your money. Thanks for your attention to this matter”… So things really do come full circle in life. My Grandfather left Belorussia having endured the tyranny of the Czar and the soon to be Bolshevik rule that replaced it. Then years after he died, having tried to do the best he could for his family. Got tread on by the tyranny of the commisars from the People’s Republic of Massachusetts. Oh well, thats life and death as usual in the baystate…

16. p. j. nichypor on December 16th, 2009 at 2:07 am

Some things and people from the past; The old wooden power line towers that kept the lines high over the river, ( there was a dead seagull suspended there for a couple of years). Reardon’s airfield and Anvil Rock Farm. Indian Hill Farm before the big fire. The single toll booth on the Seabrook side of the Hampton River bridge. The Roller coaster and Dodgems at Salisbury Beach. Dempsey’s Store in Salisbury Square. Perry’s Nut House in Seabrook on Rte: 1. The Clover Club. Carmen Carbone’s used cars on the causeway. The 1902 Rte: 1 bridge over the Merrimack. The old wooden Plum Island bridge. The Sportsman’s’ Lodge. Al’s Junk Yard, Al, of Al’s Junk Yard. Water’s Dairy Farm on Low St, where the Middle School is now. The Alms House,( Poor Farm) on N. Atkinson St. Caldwell’s Distillery. Volpone Motors, Donahue Motors, Fitzgerald Motors, Fenn Motors, R.E. Walter’s Motors. The Odd Fellows Club. The Cam Snappers club on State St. Primrose Market and A&P. Lunt and Kelly’s on Pleasant St., ( two locations). Unicorn St.. Elbow Lane. Richdale’s in Market Square. Multiple traffic islands in Market Square. Bow’s News Store. Fowle’s before they messed with it. Sidarthur. The old Trolley car on Ring’s Island. The old Greek Church before that fire. Reardon’s Market on Prospect St. Mr. Reardon the “Truant” officer. Sidewalk freight elevators downtown. The Flying Cloud. The Polish Club. Proste Bakery on Rte:1, Leighton’s. The old car on the roof of the Sunoco station on Merrimack St. with the neon lighting. Western Union and Port Auto. Hiram the horse at Knight’s Farm. The covered wells at Bartlett Springs pumping station. The swings with the cast aluminum horses heads at Mosley Pines. Bouton’s busses. The Flying Horses at Salisbury Beach. Petingill’s Farm on Ferry Rd. in Salisbury. The 1690 House at Towle’s. The crossing gates at Washington St. Devil’s Den and Chipman’s silver mine. Cherry Hill Nursery. Boy Haven. Piel Craftsmen model ship builders. Friendly’s. Guinea Bridge and the fact that it was possible to fit two cars through there if one drove on the sidewalk. Driving your first car down the center walkway at NHS. The old “New Wing” at the High School. Goodwin’s Fish Market. Ray the Taylor and Eastman’s Hobbies on Charter St. The Steak and Stein. Jake the Furrier on Inn St. with those ratty, moth eaten mink in the windows. Hazel’s Yarn. The parcel pick up on Prince Pl. for Sampson’s Supermarket. Armstrong’s Men’s and Boxer’s Furniture. Kunkle’s Book Store and Garson’s Camera. Trolley tracks in the pavement at Point Shore. The original band shell at Hampton Beach. The Plum Island Coast Guard Station at the Point. The “Polish Navy” at the old Water St. seawall. The Coka Cola bottling plant and the 7Up plant on Titcomb St. The Fruit wholesaler on Bromfield Ct. Leighton’s. Molded plastic German Shepherds on the cab roofs of the C&D oil trucks, (“Watchdog” Service) Georgetown Sand and Gravel. C&R cab, Al’s taxi, Madeline Lunt’s Taxi. The Sunday Paper vendors hand carts. The Tannery “Smell”. Grave’s Ski, Snell Acoustics, and EPI on Charles St. Also some Kayak manufacturing place there too. Esbensen’s Bakery. The Hog Penny. The Mass Electric Boiler Plant and huge smokestack on water st. at the foot of Federal. Bossy’s gas station. The 20th Century Cleaners sign between the two buildings in Market Square. The Knickerbocker. The Plum Island “Half track” Firetruck. Titus Blade Steel. J.J. Newberry’s “Downstairs”. Pray’s downstairs and back entrance from Inn St. Jacob Marley’s. These are just a few that I can remember now. I’m sure there are some several that were obscure, that haven’t come to mind.

17. p. j. nichypor on December 16th, 2009 at 9:31 am

Some more “Gone ” but not forgotten people, places, and things; The big clown on Lena’s roof at Salisbury Beach. The fire station in Market Square. Shirley’s on Inn St. Bergeson’s in the Square. Being able to catch a bus to Boston or anywhere else, right down town at Dede’s. Plymouth station wagon police cruisers in Newburyport. Hudson’s and Hilton and Strout’s Marinas. Tournament Wharf. Four gas stations in Market Square. The old red ice breaker on the North pier in the channel,(before it floated loose and washed up behind the sewage treatment plant). The wooden phone booth in Fowle’s. State Highway Dept. garages under the Rte:1 overpass on Merrimack St. Simmon’s Beach. Atkinson’s oil tanks on Water St.

18. Shawn G - Moderator on December 17th, 2009 at 11:44 pm

P.J. Great comments and memory. It’s like an index of NBPT places.

19. p. j. nichypor on December 20th, 2009 at 10:41 pm

With regard to old Rte: 1, this is the classic “A little further out of town” subject. The road that runs from Maine to Florida goes by several names. Most notable are the following; Bridge Rd. Lafayette Rd. The Causeway, and my favorite, the Newburyport Turnpike. I have some fond memories of it, as well as some I’d just as soon forget. I was always impressed by the short “Super Highway” section that is unique to Newburyport. That being the stretch that runs from the Merrimack, goes over Merrimack St., runs through the concrete canyon under High St. and turns into a regular looking road South of the traffic circle. At one time, there was a pedestrian bridge that connected Winter St. with Summer St. by running across the Highway. The structure was simple “30’s” Deco. As I recall, it was adorned with a concrete deck with a triple or quadruple railing of flat steel that terminated in duplicate flattened disc shapes. We used to hang out there, watching cars pass beneath us at high speeds. The overpass atop Merrimack St. was special in that it was also the State Highway Dept. garage. The garage or rather garages, were built under the overpass. One on the North side of the street and one on the South side. Each had windows cast in the concrete sides as well as a truck length parking area or lot, in front of the garage doors. The structure got a face-lift of sorts when the Gillis Bridge was under construction. The garages that had become rather run down and abandoned, were filled and concrete was cast over them to form what you see today. The modernization took place in the 1970’s. The pedestrian bridge was also eliminated as part of the project. The two overpass structures that are Washington St. and High St. were merely repaired and look much like they had when first built in the 1930’s. Further South, the railroad crossed Route 1 at grade in the vicinity of the present courthouse. No gates or lights that I remember. I believe that flagmen were the order of the day as this branch was not a busy one. Further out in Newbury, Rowley, Ipswich, and beyond, were some oddities by today’s standards. Things I always looked for were the likes of the old traffic mirror foundations. These foundations were safety devices on what became to be known by us as the “Death Road”. Supposedly, due to the “Three Lane” set up of the Highway,as well as its long and steep grades over the Essex County hills, safe visibility was not the rule,but the exception. So, at regular intervals, mirrors were mounted for the purpose of seeing over and beyond the crests of the hills on the road. As can be expected, the mirrors were more of a hazard than a help and were eventually removed. The foundations of a few were still in evidence through the 1980’s. Some may still remain in the high grass and thickening ground cover along the road side. I’ve had the displeasure of some frightening rides with my now deceased father along this famous road. As mentioned in the text, the Highway was a “3 Laner”. The set up was that Northbound travelers were treated to not only their travel lane, but also a passing lane. The same set up was applied to the southbound traveler too. This set up meant that, depending on the direction travelled, one was treated to two lanes,. At least for a while… Suddenly, two lanes in a particular direction were reduced to one lane. While the opposite side of the road now had the passing lane for their use. the arrangement as it was, was to say the least, hazardous. And encouraged, ( at least in my father’s case) some reckless and very frightening driving habits. In my Dad’s case, he got a little too possessive of what he considered “His” right to pass even when the lane was supposed to be for the drivers travelling the other direction. This of course resulted in some near head on confrontations at speeds up too and in excess of 60 to 70 MPH. I am convinced to to this day that I have lost several years off my life due to travels on this road with Dad. Though only part of the Turnpike ran through Newburyport. The whole road has had a connection, if not in the name, but also in the fact that you could in theory at least, look several states distance in a North or South direction just by standing on that iconic pedestrian bridge back some forty years. It was a”Yellow Brick Road” of sorts for us. We could drive it to get to some of our favorite venues on it like Mac Intyre’s Chicken, Rowley Acres, Dodge’s, etc. And we always knew that if we were back on the old Highway, we could follow it home.

20. p. j. nichypor on March 2nd, 2010 at 9:59 pm

Who remembers the John Greenleaf Whittier Highway in Salisbury? I recall seeing the signs along Rabbit Rd. up until the 70’s… I never understood the significance of this road having this name and being called a highway. Does anyone know why the signs are now gone? Why this road was named the John Greenleaf Whittier Highway? Was this a collection of roads that included Rte: 110,( that actually ran past the Whittier homestead ) that followed the Merrimack Valley to the coast? It seems odd that the signs and the name have vanished and no one knows why…

21. p. j. nichypor on March 26th, 2010 at 3:06 am

Route 95 was an interesting road in the days of the 1950s and 60s. It used to terminate in Salisbury until further construction brought the highway to and through Newburyport and further southward. Some of the roads it cut through are to this day, dead ends. Curzon Mill Rd. for instance used to run to Storey Avenue. Crow Lane was a thru way from Low St. to Turkey Hill Rd.. The railroad that ran through what is known as the “Western Division” actually crossed Rte: 95 at grade. The right of way can still be seen on both sides of the now improved and widened road. This rail line ran from Newburyport in the vicinity of what is now the T station and passed through Newbury, West Newbury, Byfield, Georgetown, Groveland, and Bradford. Where it hooked up with the main North and South B&M main line from Boston to Portland. Part of the old 95 road can be found running through a section of woods just North of the Hale St. overpass on the right side. For a few years prior to the re-construction of the Highway, Adventureland could be seen when you were in the vicinity of Scotland Rd. And though there was not much more in the way of distinctive features other than a lot of trees lining both sides. The Highway did boast a particular landmark. That being a pair of Howard Johnson Restaurants located at the present weigh stations near the Rte: 133 exit. There was one on each side, Northbound and Southbound. These landmarks lasted through the 60s and for the most part could still be seen, ( though closed down ) into the early 70s. Both are now long gone. The one remaining throw-back to the early days of the road is the Whittier Bridge. It remains the same width as the original highway as three lanes on each side. Just North of the bridge, the road runs above a now abandoned overpass that used to be used by the Amesbury branch of the B&M railroad that curved off from the coastal main line just North of Rte; 110. Most of this once very busy line are now gone, save for the distinctive causeway that runs parallel to Bridge Rd. in Salisbury. This is the same line that crossed the Merrimack on the old bridge that is still next to the current Gillis Bridge. Though nowhere as scenic and distinctive as Rte: 1. 95, back in the day, did have a particularly unique quality to it thanks to some of the features one encountered on it.

22. p. j. nichypor on March 26th, 2010 at 3:26 am

Dodge’s on old Rte:1 in Rowley, had an on site cider mill. In addition to being the purveyors of this tasty beverage, they held another distinction. They made one hell of a “Frappe”… Yes, the “Frappe”. That’s a word you may not hear outside of central New England. What is it that separates a Frappe from a Milkshake? Well Dodges could make either one. As could any ice cream place you were likely to encounter in our geographical area. what made the Dodges Frappe unique was not anything to do with the ingredients or the way it was whipped up. It was the people who could actually down more of these filling drinks than the last “record holder”. Apparently, Dodge’s had a kind of “Wall of Fame” for those amongst us who could consume more than one or two of these overly thick and overly sweet, milk, ice cream and syrup drinks. Just one of these, slowly sipped through a straw, left one feeling as though you had just eaten two or three loaves of bread. They are that filling. But some of us felt a need to step up to the Dodge’s challenge and try to out-do the last “Lactose-Tolerant” hero. If you could choke down one more than the last fool had, you had the honor of having your name put up at the top of the not so long list of names. Plus, there was a prize that you could take with you too. As the new “Champ”, you were given a free Frappe…

23. Scottd on May 14th, 2010 at 9:40 pm

I could be wrong but C&R taxi phone number was 55211 (before you had to dial the dreaded 7 digits. .

Strangest things burn into memory

24. Shawn G - Moderator on May 21st, 2010 at 1:34 am

Test

25. Kathy Gallant on July 6th, 2010 at 10:32 pm

I stayed at the Marquand estate as a kid with my uncle, his wife and daughter.(he was a State Trooper)
    It was a BEAUTIFUL spooky house. I believe there were 28 rooms, It WAS haunted,,,,,,,,

26. pj nichypor on August 14th, 2010 at 12:11 pm

I suppose this catagory is appropriate for this, my latest observation on the former “Yankee City”… I was just viewing a Newburyport web site about Plum Island. I think it was published by the chamber of commerce. So of course it would be more of a “Sales Pitch” than a real description of “The Island”. I was quite ammused to read about the long sandy beaches and the wonderfull new inn . The less fantasy based of us remember Plum Island by its nick-name, “Slum Island”. It was indeed and still is to a lesser or greater degree, still desearving of that moniker… Ref. to sandy beaches that at high tide are a foot or so away from the oceanfront property you most likely regret purchasing at a foolishly lavish premium from some slick and fast talking realtor… I guess that reality hits home when your deck is close to being undermined by the errosion the island has been enduring for the past few decades. Anyone care to remember the Plum Island Coast Guard Station located at the mouth of the Merrimack? I suppose we really would prefer that this place be forgotten. As it surely would cause concern to those contemplating property ownership on the “Shifting” sands. As far as enjoying a day of fishing or “Frolicing” on those beaches, well… Try parking anywhere on Plum Island. The best time to get that perfect parking spot is when there has been an order to evacuate the island due to severe flooding and damaging winds. Fishing would be a great idea if you weren’t competing for a few inches of elbow room on a trash littered, English as a second language, outdoor ghetto. The over-priced parking lot at the northern end of the island is usually indicative of the type of fellow human you will literally rub elbows with as it is over filled with “Cash for Clunkers Rejects” with one or more “Tractor Tire” spares mounted in place of the other two or three bald ones. And who can forget the very symbol of Plum Is. during those hot summer days? The “Greenhead”… One bite from these ferocious flying demons is enough for most reasonable people to cross Plum Island off their “Fun Spots List” forever… There was a time when you couldn’t give land away on this oversized “Sandbar”. Now, the ocean views are considered too rich for we, the “Common Folk”. Too bad that we had and have the good sense not to build an expensive and in actuallity, very “Temporary ” dwelling on such an un-sure spot. And yet get to foot the bill trough our taxes , for those who demand the beaches between them and the angry Atlantic be constantly maintained so as to stave off a “Loss” for at least one more risky season. Enjoy the view and keep a boat handy.

27. driscoll on October 8th, 2010 at 1:11 am

i grew up down town,lived over wine and checks gaurge, over looking the hole town, my play yard was on the roof over looking water street, there was an old bar at the front of my stairs,then after that the news office,then a car dealer, across the street was k n c bar,i would go in there as a kid they would give me a coke, then later we moved over to inn street, over dedes, had to come from the inn street side next to the fur store an old man and women had a real small store, on inn street i would go there for penny candy, bread, milk,my dad had a band that played at the hotel around the corner,also played at the moose and the peppermint lounge at the beach, i grew up looking at the square every day,i would here bossy gillis yelling up to my aunt in the window,they would fight like cats and dogs,my grand dad fell on ice right there in sqare,and died,the driscoll,s where well know in the town,and pj nichypor your name rings a bell, but then where are all the old names in town,the old beat cops,lee roy lewis,pet jenner, the old gangs that hung down town; at the pool hall.the reck roller ring,hanging at bobs sub,when jo jo had it, dunken chase singing in the street, my name is sue, ill take the old town over the new,it was newburyport then !
    undefined

undefined

undefined

undefined

undefined

undefined

28. g.crispo on November 22nd, 2010 at 2:04 pm

P.J. why such a negitive take on Plum Island (slum island?), bad memories? The shame belongs on Newbury and Newburyport for taking the taxes and never putting back into the infrastructure. If you ever want to see what it could have looked like vist Wells Me.
    I for one have very fond memories of P.I. (but I grew up there “64”-“78”), it was a summer cottage area with a few hardy souls that stayed year ’round. There was a great comunity that banded together and helped each other during storms and what other hardships may have occured. Those that lived on the Newburyport side went to the same schools, had the same friends and hung out in Joppa. I have spent many hours leaning on bummers rock trying to get a ride home in time for supper.
    As for the old coast guard station, they burnt the gargare down but I know a few of the locals that burnt the house (no names mentioned here). It’s a shame they’ve built the crap they have and like Joppa drove out the locals, well most of them.

29. E. W. P. on April 12th, 2011 at 3:56 pm

Before it was the Turnbuckle or the Rusty Nail it was the “Oasis.

30. Rollie on September 12th, 2011 at 6:14 pm

The Frolics was a great place to see big-time wrasslin’ one Monday a month for three months during the summer.

31. Rollie on September 12th, 2011 at 6:15 pm

Joe’s Playland – we used to bike there from the North End every day in the summer to play arcade games, etc. What a great pastime!

32. p.j. nichypor on January 29th, 2014 at 4:33 pm

any of ye old Newburyporters remember the “Yankee Doodle Drive-in??? Located at Auburn and Low Sts. in the mid 60s ?(Now shown on Newburyport maps as Pond St.. Low St. met with Auburn until the route 1 “Super Highway” cut a swath between Auburn St. and the B&M tracks in the mid 1930s. Also an old railroad roundhouse where Hazen Browns property is,or was…). It was a short lived fried food joint that may have morphed into a car-wash in later years. Also the old donut shop at the “Traffic Circle” as well as the WNBP building on the opposite side, (south bound).

33. peter phaneuf on December 13th, 2014 at 3:26 pm

Does anyone have the exact recipe for a Lena’s regular sub (ie. type bread,meat, ect)?