Barbers

Newburyport Barbers

Russ Flynn

Russ Flynn 1/22/1972

Currently the Razor’s Edge – Prior to that Russ Flynn and Harold Boothroyd owned the business together. Russ moved to Australia with his family around 1977. Harold continued the business as the Razor’s Edge. Located on the corner of Olive and Merrimac St. If you know the name prior to the Razor’s edge please let us know!  Locate It

Inn St Barber Shop – Owner Gary—-? In the 80’s Gary was always well dressed and had that tailored look about him. He had 2 female stylists Barbara and Ester working aside him during that period. Esther Sayer now owns the shop. Where is Gary?  Locate It

Wilfred’s Barber Shop – Located at 344 High St. Wilfred always gave the young kids those baby lollipops, you know with the weird oval handle. I guess if you fell off the chair you’d still have the pop in your hand.  Locate It

Please add your haircut memory!

This entry was posted on Saturday, February 28th, 2009 and is filed under Barbers, News. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

11 Responses to “Barbers”

1. p.j. nichypor on May 26th, 2009 at 9:54 pm

The South End had two barbershops. One was at Purchase St. corner of Franklin St. Old Horace Foley ran this shop by himself. He always had fresh comic books for us kids. The second place was on Watter St. between Ship St. and Federal. There were three barbers there and their names were engraved in the cement step in front of the building, “John”, “Doc”, and “Tra”(?). Haircuts in the mid sixties ran in the .50 to .75 range…

2. doralea on September 25th, 2009 at 7:46 pm

I lived next door to the barbershop on the corner of ship and water the brothers were the sweetest men in the nieghborhood and if you werer short on cash he’d tell ya he’d catch ya on the next one my Dad was a faithful customer till the 70’s when Harold started runnin the razors edge great place to bring your young boy for his first cut never left without a lollipop or a certificateoffor

3. Bob on January 10th, 2010 at 10:08 pm

Funny, I was thinking about Gary recently and wondering about him. He was a great guy there at his Inn Street barber shop …

4. Jeff Morris on January 11th, 2011 at 1:46 pm

Four generations of my family got their hair cut at Doc’s (as we knew it). My father grew up on Beck Street on the corner of Smith. My great-uncle Edmond who lived in the row of houses down starting at the French church parking lot went there for haircuts, my father and his two brothers went there, I went there (grew up on Allen St) as well as Bob Fournier’s up by the Rec. When my son was young we lived on Milk St between Federal and Lime and I took him there as well. Doc was a class act. As far as I know it was the last place in town where you got a hot lather shave with a straight razor around the ears and back of your neck as standard with a haircut.

5. E. W. P. on April 12th, 2011 at 3:44 pm

What about “City Hall Barber” Nick’s

6. Rollie on September 12th, 2011 at 6:18 pm

Went to Wilfred’s as a kid – located on Hgh Street nearby my house. Then we graduated to the Inn Street Barber Shop – I still have a video of my 22-year-old son’s first haircut there given by Barbara when he was just a year old – in 1989.

7. P. Nichypor on July 15th, 2012 at 1:36 pm

I had the opportunity to take a good look around the old neighborhood recently. Mine was the lower end of Franklin St. about four houses up from Water St. The fringes of “Joppa”. Unlike recent “non-native” purchasers of houses “east” of State St. who are so enchanted with the name “Joppa” and the “mystique” they associate with the name, we natives knew pretty much where “Joppa” began and ended… The “new” residents apply the moniker to their just under a million dollars, overly restored, investment properties if they are located anywhere in the “South End” . The long and the short of it? Joppa ” is the name given centuries ago, to the huge expanse of mud flats that start at the yacht club at the foot of Lime, (formerly referred to as “Slime” or “Crime” Street by we “Natives”…). And extends all the way to Plum Island. The Newburyport/Newbury border line is just past the Plum Island Airport. The flats are partly shared by “Ould Town” from that line to the eastern bank of the Plum Island River. Joppa lent its name to the collection of narrow streets and houses jammed closely together that sheltered generations of families who’s livings were made on the wealth of shelfish that were laboriously dug from the mud at low tide. Look at any map of Newburyport and note that the commercial wharf areas of the Merrimack River don’t go much further east of “Half tide Rocks”. The flats were and still are not “navigable” save for smaller boats of shallow draft. This area was the “poor” section of the city. In later years when industry up and down the river had caused the levels of pollution to become so bad that it wasn’t even safe to swim at high tide over the flats. Not withstanding, the flats were closed to the harvesting of clams. Most of the old clam-shacks were long gone by the time I was a kid in the late 50s-60s. We were warned by parents to stay away from the river and its environs. Joppa was a real place for us in those days of neighborhood businesses that included corner stores, bakeries, bars, and barber shops. None of us gave much thought to putting a name to what section of town we were living in. And thinking back, Joppa was not a very pleasant place to be most of the time. With the stench of low tide, equally foul odors emanating from the newly constructed “Pollution Plant” along with smells from industry, ( the Newbury Tannery and Graves Ski ). The Joppa area was not exactly the “trendy” over-priced venue it has been recreated to be. There are very few of the “original” families remaining in my old haunting grounds. The houses are mostly painted in historically “accurate ” colors. The yards are paved with “cobblestones” to afford off-street parking for multiple “high end” vehicles. The corner stores and other businesses, big and small, have been converted to “residential” use. At the top of Franklin St. and along Purchase, I can still visualize the places we did businesses with. Horace Folley ran his barber shop for years at the corner of Franklin. He had one barber chair in his one room shop. There were large “business-like” windows we could look out of of while either waiting while perusing comic, ( “funny-books” in south end parlance…) or while getting a “regular” haircut. Horrace got old and closed shop. We migrated for grooming to Water St. just past “Tony’s” market to the barber shop on the corner of Ship St. Horrace’s shop -front is gone, converted into an apartment as is “John, Doc and Tra’s on Ship. The Neighborhood we knew as Joppa is essentially gone too. The name survives only as a name. The flats, so far are still only flats. No “developer” has figured a way to fill it in and over build on it. Here’s an afterthought; I was walking the old rail-bed at the end of what is now named “Joppa” Park. There’s a house with a big expanse of glass and a second story deck , angled to face the flats and Plum Island. A group of people, ( I am assuming the owners and perhaps guests) were enjoying drinks and a breeze . I stopped and called “Hey Yeat”. They stopped what they were doing and silently stared, ( kind of like one of those “E. F. Hutton commercials from the early 80s…). I told them this was Joppa, treat it kindly and get used to hearing our greeting… Some things will live on. If only in our fading memories. R.I.P. Tony’s, Polish Club’ Izzy’s, Pattow’s, Hicks’s, Jubert’s, Korny’s, Hawk’s,Upholsterers, Prost Bakery, Newbury Shoe, Chagro’s, Saunders, The D.A.V., Rochettes, Murial’s, Stickney’s, Howard’s Cleaners, Rubino’s, (Helen’s Market.), Paul Kessler’s, John, Doc, and Tra, O’Barra’s, The I.G.A., (next to March’s Hill), The shoe repair on Federal St., Zoto’s, The Fish Markets at Flatiron Point and the foot of Fair St. on Water, Range-light Marina, Swartz’s, Reardon’s, Port Potters, Emory’s, The Newbury Tannery, Si Ni Chro, C&D oil co., Jukey’s Junkyard, The Hogpenny, the big Gasometer also at Flatiron Point, current site of the latest “super-fund” cleanup in town…), Atkinson’s oil tanks, the electric co. boiler plant and back-up diesel generators, ( “loud”), Silva’s Lunch, Stoke’s, Thurlow’s Clams, ( Dwight just passed away recently…), Charley Hill’s bait shop, Port Coal and Coke, etc. etc..

8. Digger O'Dell on November 5th, 2012 at 10:24 am

E. W. P. on April 12th, 2011 at 3:44 pm
    What about “City Hall Barber” Nick’s
    Got my first “official” cut at Nick’s around 1946. It was tha shop my dad went to for many years. Sat on the board that crossed the arm rests. Can still smell the combination of hair, shaving cream, and after shave. To this day I drive 25 miles to a barber shop that is much like Nick’s.
    Dad would take me down the street to Bow’s (Murphy’s) for a bag of roasted peanuts where the prime product was politics.

9. Maria Hayes Gilfus on February 19th, 2013 at 9:33 am

We had a barber on the corner of Dove St. and Monroe St. and that is where my father went to get his hair cut. I didn’t know his last name….us kids just called him “Frank the Barber”. He used to go outside a lot when he was not working and I remember always saying hello to him on my way to and from school.

10. Ron Greene on August 3rd, 2013 at 4:22 am

My memory of City Hall Barbers was with my dad, who passed away in 1957 when I was 9. I remember Nick, I can picture him still with a cigarette dandling from his mouth, talking about the Red Sox and Ted Williams. And those great barber shop smells, men getting shaved with a straight razor, and the booster board they had me sit on. After that we would go to White’s Lunch or Dede’s Restaurant. Great memories. Does anyone remember the bronze plack on the front of City Hall? I remember it had the names of local WW1 veterans, but I may be mistaken. I think my Dad’s name was on it, Benjamin S. Greene, but It’s been so long ago that I was back there I may have dreamed it!

11. Danmsouther on March 13th, 2014 at 1:11 am

Just wondering if Frank the barber was were weep (Larry Howard ) learned how to cut hair lol lol.