Riverside Dairy

Riverside Dairy – Located off Merrimac St on Union Place. When the Milk man delivered milk it most likely came from here! Riverside Dairy sponsored a Pioneer League baseball team in the 70’s and 80’s. Locate it

Riverside Dairy Milk Bottle

This entry was posted on Monday, June 2nd, 2008 and is filed under Dairys, Food. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

11 Responses to “Riverside Dairy”

1. Cindy Blatt on June 27th, 2008 at 9:08 pm

My grandfather was Isaac Webster, the founder and owner of Riverside Dairy and Webster’s Ice Cream Stand on Merrimac Street. It’s a shame that these buildings are being demolished and will be replaced by sailboats. It’s important for Newburyporters to remember the past and what was the foundation of Newburyport.

2. Shawn G - Moderator on June 27th, 2008 at 9:23 pm

Cindy,

If you have any older or present pictures of the property, I’d love to display them here. I always wondered if there was a connection between the two businesses. Now I know! If I was to make a guess I would bet most of the boats that are going to be stored on the Webster/Riverside site are for boat owners who do not live in NBPT , but like how their boat looks going down the NBPT section of the Merrimac River.

Shawn G Mod.

3. Martin Crowley on July 12th, 2008 at 12:01 am

Ahh…Websters. Best Ice Cream, Meanest lady. Good old “Ruthy”. She made every trip to Websters and event.

4. Martin Crowley on July 12th, 2008 at 12:03 am

Also…my Neighbor, Pete Daigle used to drive a Riverside Dairy Milk Truck. He ended up buying one and converting it into a camper. They had a “lot” up at Tewsbury Pond.

5. Rick Eck on April 6th, 2010 at 8:24 pm

My grandfather, William Collis, supplied the milk to Riverside Dairy up til the mid-fifties. He had a large barn where the cows were milked, that was located on the site of the Nock Middle School, and a large amount of acreage across Low St., where the cows grazed.

6. BRUCE GREELEY 3 on April 9th, 2010 at 4:27 am

I WORKED FOR THE WEBSTERS AT RIVERSIDE DAIRY THEY WHERE THE NICEST PEOPLE I HAVE EVER WORKED FOR.

7. Emily Douglas on December 16th, 2010 at 9:41 am

I live in Amesbury and we are renovating our house, which had the same owners from roughly 1915 to 2006. We were delighted to find a milk bottle cap fro Riverside Dairy. Happy to provide a copy to anyone who wants it!

8. Rollie on September 12th, 2011 at 7:01 pm

My father drove a milk truck with Pete Daigle – boh ended up coaching in the Pioneer League.

Chris Webster – worked with him at two different companies in the ’80s and 90’s – and we still stay in touch!

9. Ricky Blaisdell on May 25th, 2013 at 9:53 pm

My mother, a cousin of the Webster’s worked off and on for Webster’s, my older brother drove a milk truck for a short time, and my sister, my younger brother and I all worked at Webster’s. My first job was shoveling water in the basement. When I went to the Currier School, I loved going to to have lunch at Webster’s. To be able to get up on the spinning stool seats and getting a refreshing cold drink of water in the paper cups that rested in the stem on a holder, not to mention the grilled hot dog, french fries and chocolate frappe. After shoveling water for a time, I began to wash dishes. I learned how to move ice cream from the freezer into the places out front and also learned to scoop ice cream and wait on people at the window and also waited on people at the counter. To some people Ruth may have seemed mean, but she taught me quite a bit about responsibility and cleanliness in the workplace. Everybody has a bad day and when you are running a place that serves people food, I would think that anyone would feel the pressure of attempting to keep the quality up to snuff at all times as well as teach high school age kids about business. There were also days when they made ice cream in the back of where the dishes were being cleaned and I was often offered a cup of just made ice cream, but to their consternation, I only liked vanilla and chocolate at the time. However, I do miss the ice cream because I have never tasted anything better since. It was a wonderful place for a high school kid to learn responsibility and earn a little spending money. It would be a travesty to see the buildings demolished, just for sailboats.

10. George Woundy on July 12th, 2015 at 9:02 pm

My dad, George Woundy, except for a time during WWII, worked for “The Dairy” pretty much all his life. They had milk and ice cream that was the best! Their Pistachio ice cream was a treat for me and to know that my dad sometimes made the ice cream was very special to mel. People speak of Ruth as being mean, and to tell the truth she reamed me out pretty good more than once, but she made sure the Ice Cream Stand was top notch. Her brother Ray was a great guy and their parents Ike and Ruth Webster were very special to my dad from when he was a lad in his teens until he retired. Time moves on, things change and eventually the dairy had to close, but I’d give anything to see that stand open again.

11. Leanne Wheatman on July 6th, 2017 at 10:22 pm

My father was a veterinarian next door to the Webster’s, and the ice cream stand was on the other side of us. We lived there from 1946 till 1953.
    The twins Patty and Prudy were very memorable as well as Kay Martha.
    We went today and were surprised the houses are still standing and shared our history with the current owners