Sub / Sandwich Shops

Beef Corral – Located at the traffic circle. This establishment had the first arcade Asteroids game in town.  Now called something like Court House Beef, the name was probably changed to fancy it up a bit, since they dropped the new District Court House within 300 ft of the corral.  Whatever the name,  the same roast beef sandwiches are still on the menu there.  Same sandwich, different cow, for almost 30 years.

Mikes Subs – Located on Merrimac St by Hilton’s Fishing Dock.

This entry was posted on Thursday, April 17th, 2008 and is filed under Food, Sub / Sandwich Shops. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

10 Responses to “Sub / Sandwich Shops”

1. Lori C on April 21st, 2008 at 4:11 am

Lets not forget Faletta’a(sp) Fa-Lee-ta’s.. Best chicken delights in town…………… everyone who went to school in the 70’s went to Faletta’s.

2. Rick Eck on March 7th, 2009 at 2:52 pm

What about “Ferlita’s” on State st. for many years(60’s and into the 70’s)? Remember Mike?

3. dmeaton on April 30th, 2009 at 9:56 pm

I remember in the early 60’s there was a sub shop called “The Red Front” it was some where between State and Green street. (at keast I think that is where it was located I was about 5 or 6 when I went in there).

4. p.j. nichypor on June 5th, 2009 at 1:29 am

Thought I was pretty slick one day at Newburyport High. I cut class and rode my bicycle downtown to get a sub at Ferlita’s. After getting my sandwich, I started walking the bike up the sidewalk toward the corner of Pleasant and State Sts. Glancing toward a figure holding something near his face, I was horrified to see Bill Lane in the process of taking a photo in my direction. Maybe he was focused on the buildings or something to either side of me… As luck would have it, the front page photo of the following day’s Daily News did in fact depict brick buildings and me holding a bag with a sub in it, pushing my bike up State Street… I had some explaining to do.

5. p. j. nichypor on September 12th, 2009 at 12:06 pm

Shirley’s cart on Inn St., gone or still there? Shirley Lattime (SP?) was the owner/operator for several years. I believe she past away. I know that the offerings found on her simple menu were some good old traditional choices. Grilled hot dogs were my son’s favorite. Sausage with peppers and onions could also be had. I liked the pepper steak sandwich, a standard “treat” growing up in Newburyport. Not to be confused with some one’s idea of putting the worst “sweepies” on a grill and then slapping it in a sub roll with some peppers. What is to be gained by grinding the meat up with a couple of knives on the grill plate, (hiding the low quality of the meat perhaps ?). Shirley used a single healthy looking thinly sliced “disc” of beef. This was dispatched to the hot surface and left to cook, no “knife show”. Green peppers soon followed the meat to the same surface and when done ( to perfection by the way…) the two ingredients were put on a plain white hamburger bun. Delicious and also a food “time machine” back to my younger days on a Saturday night watching “Get Smart”, enjoying the same thing cook instead by Mom. It had been said that the owner of an establishment, ( catering to the lost in the “60’s” crowd and located on Middle St. just off of State) objected to this Newburyport Native’s food cart. He was fearful that it would take business away from him it was claimed!!! If this was indeed his take on it, I hope he feels better now… Shirley’s hot dogs and pepper steaks were to Newburyport as fish and chips are to London, a traditional through-back for some of us to savor and help us remember the better and simpler things from not so long ago in Newburyport…

6. Bob on January 10th, 2010 at 10:05 pm

Ferlita’s had the BEST pepper steaks. I don’t know how she afforded it, but about once a month on a Friday night my mom took us bowling and then we got to share a peppersteak sandwich … I went back looking for the place recently, but no such luck.

7. g.crispo on November 18th, 2010 at 8:22 am

I worked at Ferlita’s on the early 70’s, remember people would throw thier penny tips up on the shelf behind the counter for Mike’s retirement. I was there the day Bill White owner of the Steak and Stine came in and told him he sold the shop. Boy was Mike mad I thought he was gona floor him. I took down the pennies cleaned them in hot soapy water, but Mike didn’t want them, he gave them to me. Mike then started a clam shack near Fernals Marina by the Parker River and then moved into the old taxi stand on Water street at the bottom of Green street. He stayed there until his death, not sure of the date.

8. Karon on August 18th, 2013 at 5:59 pm

I should have known there was a ‘subshop category’ on this site that I was missing since I mentioned Ferlita’s everywhere else and then found this. Boy do I miss the Italian sub with hots that I used to get at Ferlita’s. I also remember when they got a ‘Pac-Man’ game installed. They did subs right.

9. Greg Rockwell/Burns on September 6th, 2015 at 8:44 pm

I worked at Seaport Studios on State St. In the early 70s
    Went to Mikes when ever I could.
    Best italion subs around. Mike was a great person. I miss Mass. really bad.

10. Bill Shaheen on August 21st, 2016 at 7:52 pm

I also worked at Seaport Studios in the early- mid ’70s………A lot of fun ! Yes, Ferlita’s was the place to be seen…………….Worked with Greg Burns………and company…..Bob Reese.