Record Stores

Music Stores

When you weren’t taping a penny onto an order form for your 12 or so free albums, you bought your records from the below stores.

Music Center- Pleasant St. Owned by Norman Jutras. His store also sponsored the baseball team Music Center in the B League of the Pioneer Baseball League. He had the best album selection in town. Not to mention laser disc movies that were the size of trash can covers and beta tapes. Also those lost 45’s. Locate It

——————————————————————————–

While you continue to visit NBPTMa.com listen to some Lost Music of the 60’s, 70’s and 80’s.  Remember the songs you first heard on AM, well here they are. This is my interpretation of lost one hit wonders, with some more popular ones mixed in! Hear the music!

——————————————————————————–

Dyno Records – Located on Middle St. Locate It

Newburyport MA

This entry was posted on Sunday, April 13th, 2008 and is filed under News, Record Stores. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

9 Responses to “Record Stores”

1. Andy Cook on May 13th, 2008 at 8:05 pm

What was the name of the used record store that was down stairs off of Inn Street? Most of my record collection came from there.

2. Shawn Gearin Mod on May 14th, 2008 at 6:49 pm

I do remember that record store down in the basement – you could see it when you looked down the stairs. I’m not sure on the name…yet.

3. Andy Cook on June 3rd, 2008 at 7:29 pm

Gilmore East!! I think. A

4. Rick Eck on March 11th, 2009 at 7:13 am

Across from the post office on Pleasant St. was Safford’s Jewelry, which was connected to their Record store, where you could get the latest Elvis or Ricky Nelson albums, and a little later the newest Beatles release.

5. dmeaton on March 17th, 2009 at 8:20 pm

Please do you know who contributed the photo of the dyno record sign. that looks like my parents in the photo. I would love to have a copy of the original.

6. F. Rogers on August 28th, 2009 at 9:30 pm

Does anyone remember the record store on State St across from Fowles I think it was called Godards

7. Mark on August 11th, 2010 at 12:44 am

Anyone else remember the record and electronics store, I think it was called Goddart’s, originally on State Street (roughly across the street from Fowle’s). They had a big RCA logo on their sign. Most of my childhood records came from there. I think they eventually moved down near the Traffic Circle next-door to the Giant Value supermarket, after Newburyport’s makeover in the mid’70s

8. debbie on September 16th, 2010 at 9:08 am

i thought it was called gordart’s….wasn’t it right after the steak & stein on the right, going up state st. ? i used my whole allowance of “the cost of a ’45” every week-i vacuumed, polished,cleaned dishes & the bathroom, just to get my newest record every saturday, then my friend & i played it over & over & over…..i loved that little store:)

9. flhardy on October 24th, 2012 at 7:15 pm

Yes, Debbie. Gordart’s was on State Street, and I too loved that little store. They sold and repaired televisions as well as selling records. I worked there, and I also spent a lot of my earnings on “45” records, and LP’s. The owners name was Cliff Martellini. He was a great boss and became a wonderful friend. Great memories of that store and that time of my life.