Drug Stores & Pharmacies

Pharmacies

North End Pharmacy- Located at 240  Merrimac St by Towle.  Pharmacists Nicholas and his son   Andy Kafalas along with Nicholas’s wife.   When his parents retired and passed on he continued the Pharmacy into the early 80’s.
Eaton’s Drug Store – 58 State St.
Daniel L. Lynch Pharmacy – 173 High St Newburyport, Ma.
Haydn’s Rexall Drug – Located at 14 Pleasant St.
Hersey’s Pharmacy – 19 Story Ave.   The pharmacy was located next to the Port Bowling Lanes.
Sunder’s Drug Store – Located at the corner of Lime St and Purchase St.
This entry was posted on Sunday, April 13th, 2008 and is filed under Drug Stores. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

11 Responses to “Drug Stores & Pharmacies”

1. Lori C on April 21st, 2008 at 4:07 am

Sunders drug store on the corner of Lime and Purchase… They had a soda fountain and sold comic books.

2. D.A.KUSE on September 29th, 2008 at 10:13 am

there was Rexalls on the corner of State and Pleasant Street ..not sure it was called by another name or not..

3. Shawn G - Moderator on September 29th, 2008 at 10:55 pm

Was it Lynch Pharmacy on the corner?

4. p.j. nichypor on May 26th, 2009 at 10:43 pm

Eaton’s Drug Store was on the corner of State and Pleasant. Small soda fountain (Believe it or not..). Haydn’s Rexal on the corner of Pleasant and Inn Sts. Also had a soda fountain. Saunders was the only South End drug Store.

5. jfrost on August 21st, 2009 at 7:47 pm

I remember Saunders ( right across the street from my house ) There was some odd health food restaurant that moved in shortly after ( The Rising Sun ) Didn’t last long ( the food was dreadful ) What more could I ask for with a drug store on one corner and a package store ( Rochettes ) on the other ! Life was good …

6. F. Rogers on August 28th, 2009 at 10:28 pm

I believe Northend Pharmacy was bought out by CVS when they opened up across from the MALL and Andy went to work for them over there

7. John Kafalas on January 12th, 2012 at 7:50 pm

I’m glad you remember North End Pharmacy! My uncle Nick was a great guy, and my family and I used to visit him, Anne, and Andy often. These days, when I’m in town, I usually spend some time in the park down by the river, behind where the drugstore used to be. It’s a great spot!

8. DSouther on March 16th, 2012 at 7:06 pm

Anne just died. a couple of months ago. Andy got married and is. still living in nbpt

9. Joe McLaughlin on May 1st, 2012 at 10:46 pm

Dan Lynch’s drug store was across from Eatons on Essex & State st. It was destroyed in one of NBPT’s most memorable fires along with Hymes shoe store. A huge fire in the winter of 55 (I think). Dan then moved up to High St by the train overpass.
    The fire started about 7:00 AM and raged all morning. The temps were single to teens and the fire trucks were frozen in place. Firewall were what saved the rest of State st.
    I watched it while sitting in Eatons across the street.

10. John on July 2nd, 2014 at 1:47 pm

Bottle found in my basement from Edward W. Eaton, Pharmacist on 58 State Street. If anyone has an interest in collecting these sorts of things, let me know…. free.

11. Shawn G - Moderator on July 4th, 2014 at 2:59 am

Hi John – this Edward F. Eaton bottle had to be around 1930 or so.