Dining Around Town

Dining

Sportsman’s Lodge – Only a memory. Locate It

Scandia – Located on State St next to Fowles. Locate It

Ten Center St – Located at 10 Center St. Locate it

Labadini’s, Paul Labadini, your host. Located at 165 State St. “One of the Finest Restaurants on the North Shore.” So says, Paul Labadini. Mr Lyons a Whittier Vo-Tech science teacher work here also in the mid 80’s as a bar tender. Locate It

Jacob Marleys – Locate on Pleasant St. Locate It

Michael’s Harborside – Yes there is a real Michael. He actually lives in Newbury. No, Newburyport wasn’t too expensive for Michael, he just prefers the country. He raises turkeys and Alpacas. Locate it

Steak & Stein – Located at 1 Threadneedle Alley.  “The new Restaurant in old Newburyport.”  Locate It

This entry was posted on Tuesday, April 8th, 2008 and is filed under Food, Restaurants. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

16 Responses to “Dining Around Town”

1. dmeaton on September 18th, 2008 at 10:43 pm

I remember Yolanda’s it was where Ming Jade used to be.

2. D.A.KUSE on September 23rd, 2008 at 9:21 am

Wow dmeaton I remember that resturaunt not that you posted it..cannot remember when it clsed tho

3. dmeaton on September 25th, 2008 at 7:20 pm

Does anyone remember the restaurant on the corner of State and Liberty I think it was there in the early 60’s a greek family owned it, there was also DeeDee’s on State St my mother used to work there before I was born, and The Log Cabin on the corner of Middle and State.

4. dmeaton on September 25th, 2008 at 7:29 pm

Nick’s Pizza has been around since the 50’s first time I went in there I was 2 years old that was in 1957, then they served subs and pasta dinners. Nick made the best meatballs I have not till this day tasted any like them. In the late 60’s or early 70’s Nicks just had PIzza on the menu. No more subs or spagetti and meatballs with garlic bread.

5. D.A.KUSE on September 28th, 2008 at 9:28 am

there was Lawler on the bottom of Winter and Merrimac Street..I believe it was called Fulmans before it was Lawlers..loved the coffee ice cream they had there…

6. dmeaton on October 1st, 2008 at 7:40 pm

There was a small coffee shop on the corner of Boardman st and Merrimac st any one remember the name???

7. p.j. nichypor on May 26th, 2009 at 11:23 pm

Andy’s New Yorker was on Middle St. Lots of plate glass and lots of stainless steel. Diner on Unicorn St. Pizza place next to old Hi-tron on Kent St. The late, great Break “O” Day restaurant on Merrimack St. , the Mall Spa, the Island House on Plum Island. Bob’s Subs in Market Square, Kathy Ann’s at the circle.

8. ld on May 27th, 2009 at 9:40 pm

The Corner Store was one of my favorites when I was a teenager. I looked forward to going to Daley’s Restaurant on Pleasant Street for breakfast and loved to go into J.J. Newbury’s on Pleasant Street for lunch when I was a young child.

9. p. j. nichypor on November 30th, 2009 at 10:50 pm

A loooonnnngggg… time ago, there was Chain Bridge Manor on Deer Island. I think the fire that burned the entire wooden deck of the old Deer Island Bridge may have been the kiss of death for that restaurant. In later years, ( late seventies…), A second attempt to run an eating establishment on that island resulted in Beau Manour’,(some sort of French sound to the last part of the name, sounded like “Man-wahr”). It lasted but a couple of years. The Mall Restaurant was a half way decent place at the corner of Green and High Sts. Over in West Newbury was Hale’s Dog House with excellent home made Root Beer and as the name implies, Hot Dogs. On the Salisbury side of the river was the venerable Sailor Bill’s. a less note-worthy restaurant was located across the Street from it, though I can’t recall the name. All the crying in the world will never bring back the Sportsman’s Lodge. The Steak and Stein was one of the 70’s era newcomers that did well but couldn’t hold on. Scandia, or as we liked to call it,”Skimpia”, (small portions/big prices= the nick-name…) was another. I never got to try the Captain’s Hangout as my mom had suggested we do. As it burned to atoms one evening in the sixties. Nor did I venture into the diner further up Unicorn street either. Another “Old Days” venue was “Ye Cock & kettle” just up the road a ways from Perry’s Nut House on route 1 in Seabrook. I think the “99” occupies the site now. I have heard that the Dexter Hotel that used to be in Market Square, had a bar and may have served food too. It was said, ( by Mr. Murray, my sixth grade home-room teacher at the Jackman and a Newburyport fireman to boot) that a thick and wide layer of “Sticky” creosote was poured around the Dexter when it was razed during urban renewal. The idea was to capture as many cockroaches as possible as they escaped the demolition. I may not have been missing anything by never having eaten there. I notice othe contributors have recalled JJ Newberry’s and SS Kresge’s lunch counters. Who could forget a grilled Hot Dog with a glass of that red or purple “Bug Juice” that was in constant motion inside the big clear vessle through which it circulated. The line of stools seemed to run forever at Newberry’s.

10. Chris Becker on May 25th, 2010 at 12:16 am

I worked at Labadini’s during High school, basically a dishslave, but it was fun. I got tons of food and drinks (non-alcoholic), Paul was a great boss, testament to this was all the staff that had been there for years. I remember when I was a paperboy for the daily news, my route started at State Street & High Street, and went to the Traffic circle, Labadini’s was a customer, and I would go in and get free tomato juice and pickles from the Bartender. I can’t remember her name, but she was a very skinny lady in her late 20’s early 30’s. I even got to go into the kitchen and see Jack (I think that was his name) and he’d make me a chicken parm every now and then. I worked there for a while, and I even got sent over to “The Other Place” which is where people had wedding receptions and other large parties. That was a LOT of work cleaning up after that, but again, tons of food and drink. Thanks to working at Labadini’s dishwashing didn’t suck so bad when I had to do three months of it in the Navy.

11. Mark on August 11th, 2010 at 12:19 am

What great memories of Sportsman’s Lodge I have! My parent’s didn’t go out to dinner very often, usually special occasions, and my father was very finicky about food, and Sportsman’s Lodge was his favourite restaurant, and we didn’t go there very often, so whenever we went, it was always an “event”. Their fried clams were to die for! I still remember how good they were, over 40 years later!

12. Paul Labadini on December 4th, 2012 at 12:55 pm

In reference to D.A. Kuse mentioning Lawler’s, previously it was called Fellman’s. My Dad, Jack, worked there for a time. In reference to Chris Becker, thank you for the compliment and the bartender’s name was LeeAnne. So many great memories for all the years at Labadini’s Restaurant (43) in Newburyport. Many thanks to all for your support.

13. Maria Hayes Gilfus on February 20th, 2013 at 9:49 pm

I had my wedding reception at “The Other Place” in 1981. The place was very nice and the food was great! We miss Labadini’s!

14. Sue Frashier on August 4th, 2013 at 1:02 am

To,Paul Labadini: I have been trying to find your dads recipe for blue cheese dressing. I used to crave when I was pregnant. Any chance you still have it? You can find me on Facebook. Or email me at kate040586@yahoo.com.

15. Karon on August 18th, 2013 at 5:21 pm

I used to love going to Sailor Bill’s and Labadini’s with my parents for dinner. The Italian sub with hots at Falitah’s (sp?) on State Street was my favorite lunch place.

16. Melissa on July 21st, 2017 at 11:13 pm

Hi there! I remember The Sportsmans Lodge when I was vey very young. I’ve recently been interested in finding some photos of it. If anyone has any, I’d love it if you could email me at Melissa.a.fordham@gmail.com