Ice Cream

Mr K’s – Located at the 3 roads within a stone’s throw of Atkinson Common. Locate it

Websters Ice Cream – Located next to Riverside Dairy on Merrimac St. Locate it

Emerald Dairy – I believe this was located on Rt 1 near the traffic circle. Please correct me if I am wrong. Locate it

Friendly s – Located on Story Ave across from Low St. Locate It

This entry was posted on Tuesday, April 15th, 2008 and is filed under Food, Ice Cream, News. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

7 Responses to “Ice Cream”

1. brad on September 14th, 2008 at 6:41 pm

Yes, I remember Webster’s Ice cream stand. Grapenut ice cream, anyone? Emerald Dairy? Paul Hailey bought this establishment during the 80’s. Paul is one of the best. Paul, in his 70’s, still drives a lunch wagon to this very day in Newburyport. The Newburyport Friendly’s was owned by the Booth family. (It is now a bank.) Mr. K would sell “mistakes” to us kids at 10 cents. A ” mistake” was anything that the customer did not order and was put into the deep freeze. Any more questions?

2. p.j. nichypor on May 26th, 2009 at 11:09 pm

Before it was Mr’ K’s, it was Uncle Jack’s. The sign was made to resemble playing cards, (Jack’s). Badger Farms was a dairy and ice cream stand at the traffic circle. There was a small family run stand on High Rd. in Newbury op. Little’s Lane. And Pikle’s in Rowley just over the line from Newbury.

3. BMacIntosh on July 7th, 2009 at 7:39 pm

The Emerald Dairy near the Roue 1 traffic circle had the first “soft-serve” ice cream in the Newburyport area, I’m pretty sure. This was so long ago (in the 50s-60s) that it wasn’t yet CALLED soft-serve. It was “Dairy Whip.” There was a billboard with a huge Dairy Whip cone at the corner of Low St. and Rte. 1. A trip to Emerald dairy was a huge treat for us as kids–because that stuff was the creamiest, densest ice cream you’d ever taste. No one (including Haley’s, Emerald Dairy’s successor) makes soft-serve like that any more. My siblings and I were discussing this at a gathering a few weeks ago…40-plus years later, we can still taste it!

4. S. Molloy/Kreyger on August 10th, 2010 at 10:39 pm

Yes, Yes!!! I remember Unckle Jack’s ice-cream stand and Mr. K’s. I used to iron clothing for the Langloise family to earn money to buy my siblings an ice-cream. Back in the late 60’s, the price of a ice-cream cone tasted so good and for a few pennies, my sisters and brothers could afford to have a good time. I also remember the Webster’s ice-cream stand. My grandmother would come down from Haverhill on Sunday afternoon and take all of her grandchildren to Webster’s. It seems silly to say this, but it was the best time of my life. Does anyone now what ever happened to the Webster sisters? If ayone out there knows these sisters, can you please use this bord and google me back.

Sincerely,
    Susan

5. Ray on June 9th, 2012 at 1:12 pm

I’m the great nephew of the owner of the Emerald dairy.. and there is no comparison between the “soft-serve” of today and my uncles secret recipe “Dairy Whip”. I can remember a couple times going to see him make it and he would always have half of it done before we got there.. I loved being able to go there anytime day or night with my grandparents to get Ice Cream.. I loved his Ice Cream Sandwiches… I think it’s sad that the current owners of Haley’s list that they have been open since 1952 when they only took it over in the mid 80’s.. after my uncle lost his life to cancer.

6. John on June 1st, 2013 at 10:21 pm

I would like to show you a Websters’ Dairy image but don’t know how to. Can someone mail me an address to which I can send it, please/

John

7. pj nichypor on December 15th, 2016 at 7:54 pm

Newburyport as we knew it, is vanishing. Webster’s on Merrimack St. is gone. What was Mr. K’s at 3 Roads, looks like its being demolished? The ‘Traffic Circle’ is looking different with new construction, etcetera… I can look back and recall numerous things and places that were notable in days gone by. Following is a ‘list’ of some of them. The huge Haverhill Gas tank at The end of Union St. at Flat Iron Point. The Sportsman’s Lodge on the way to Plum Island. The derelict steamboat you could see from the old bridge heading to Rings Island, (not the Sabino…). The old Georgetown Sand an Gravel complex next to Route 1, Al’s Junk Yard. The foundations and ramp for the bridge/overpass that carried the trolleys over the B&M tracks on the old Georgetown line. The red North Pier ‘Ice Breaker’ that marked that side of the channel at Half Tide Rocks and Gangway Rock. The Coast Guard Station and complex that once dominated the ‘Point’ on Plum Island. The ‘City’ railroad that served the South End kids as a way to get out to March’s Hill, Devil’s Den and beyond. Or to venture along the remains of the waterfront to get to a point behind the Firehouse in Market Square and downtown. Jackman School. So much of what we took for granted, the short cuts the hang-outs, are gone. Any ‘space’ in Newburyport today is ‘gold’ to those who want to over-develop. Most of the ‘backyards’ we played in were ‘moon scapes. Dusty places, devoid of grass. Pockmarked with holes we had dug with a big kitchen spoon. We created the worlds we wished to use for whatever our ‘play’ theme may be that day, week, or summer. We dragged whatever we could out to open places in the ‘ frontiers’ beyond our neighborhoods . We made forts, huts, and bridges. Where did it all go? The yards are paved over. The ‘frontiers’ are strip malls and ‘Luxury’ housing
    … The sand pits and abandoned, overgrown lots have indeed gone. Still, the memories can be conjured up when we need. Remembering simpler, carefree times without the ‘addiction of electronics and imagination destroying social media. We did, in fact, play. We didn’tneed some brain numbing ‘AP’ for that…