Factories / Plants

Coca Cola plant Merrimac St – Coke had a plant at this location during the 1970’s

This entry was posted on Sunday, April 27th, 2008 and is filed under Factories / Plants. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

11 Responses to “Factories / Plants”

1. D.A.KUSE on September 24th, 2008 at 9:53 pm

EPI Speakers was where The Steam Mill is now..before it was EPI I Believe it was a Shoe factory ..want to say Stride Rite but think thats was at the Industrial Park…The Harvad Coated was on Kent and Monroe..Bixby’s was also there ..Faraz Shawmut used to be Chase and Shawmut and had 2 Location one on Merrimac where it is now (Faraz Shawment) and out on Graf Road..Atkinson Coal Compnay was on water Street..got our coal from ..and then there was the Rue Shoe and not sure was that was located

2. jfrost on November 27th, 2008 at 1:56 pm

Anyone remember the “Tannery” when it was a tannery ? Just about everyone in the neighborhood worked there at some point …

3. Rick Eck on March 17th, 2009 at 7:06 am

“Ruth Shoe” was across from the bottom of Green St.(the large brick building). During the late 50s I used to go there with the Owner, Al Rindler and his son Bruce once in a while on a Saturday. Bruce and I would explore the factory while his dad did paperwork in his office.

4. p.j. nichypor on May 27th, 2009 at 12:29 am

How about Caldwell’s distillers next to the B&M railroad embankment, (Condos now…). The abandoned factory on Charter St….

5. F. Rogers on August 27th, 2009 at 9:45 pm

I remember the Tannery very well my cousin used to work there and every day when he came home from work he was a different color about all you could see was the whites of his eyes

6. p.j. nichypor on September 4th, 2009 at 3:02 am

There was a beverage distributor on lower Titcomb St. I recall seeing 7-up trucks parked out in front back in the 60’s. The building is still there, though empty. Graff Bros. used to be headquartered on Water St. at Market Square. I think the electric co. took over use of the huge garage after Graff moved. Eastern Canvas mfg. was located right downtown on the upper floors of the building that now houses Szechuan Taste. The factory entrance complete with the tenant directory was on Prince Place. My Grandmother worked there in the 60’s, making army backpacks. There were other manufacturing businesses there too, I don’t recall what they were. Hank Tracy ran a pretty lucrative business on the bottom floor of the Ruth Shoe building. I worked there for a while making wing tip light covers for military aircraft. Geonautics has since moved out to the old Coke plant ,( former trolley car house for the Mass. Northeastern Street Railway) on Merrimack St. west of Break “O”day Hill. There was a manufacturing firm on Charter St. years ago. It was a three or four storied brick building located near the corner of Fair St. Don’t remember what they made there.

7. doralea on September 25th, 2009 at 12:21 pm

as a kid the tannery was a play ground for us,during the vietnam war when some family members were off fightin for our country as kids we would hide in the piles of leather and play army games god if we only new how we could have made some nice clothes,jackets and other things we would have been all set..The factory in the 70’s located on charles street was EPI manufacurer they built speakers some of the best you could get my mom Mary was a foreman there all the older nieghborhood kids worked there,it moved to hale st. in the 80’s my husband still has his speakers in our livung room god why did they have to ruin such a quaint comfortable town the south end of newburyport was just one big happy family……

8. J. Frost on September 27th, 2009 at 9:21 am

I miss the days of walking by the tannery with friends on our way to go fishing at the “wharf” as we called it then . We’d stop along the way to chat at the tannery windows with relatives and friends that worked there on our way …Actually we would try and “scrounge” some bait money if we didn’t have enough .

9. Karon on August 18th, 2013 at 5:32 pm

doralea: My dad was a foreman at Epicure Speakers (E.P.I.) as well. I was 7 years old and remember the first time I saw fiber glass – it was this lovely pile of puffy yellow happiness that I started playing in. Some of the workers came over and tried to warn me and stop me, but bratty little me ignored them after all how could this wonderful soft yellow puff be bad…that was the worst itch ever. I deserved every bit of it for not listening to those guys trying to help me. I remember Jim Gorman and Mary Cummings was the secretary. That was a totally cool building to roam around in as a kid.

10. Debie on August 18th, 2014 at 7:57 pm

Karon,

I remember you and your parents very well. You were a flower girl in my wedding. I went from the fiber glass room to making woofers and then tweeter coils before transferring to the office. My husband and I spent many good times at your house in NH. I do remember your room upstairs with all the KISS posters. Hope your family is well.

11. Karon on December 13th, 2014 at 12:22 am

Hi Debie!
    Oh my goodness! I have WONDERFUL memories of you and Karl growing up!!! Yes, I remember you guys babysitting me and your Mom was always so kind to me. I hope all is well with you! Yes, Dad married Sally and they both live down in Florida now. Mom lives in Haverhill. Oh I wished I had seen this earlier…sorry it took so long to respond. LOL, I was in 5th grade with all those KISS posters.