Doctors

Doctors
Dr Kneller – located on High St between Woodland and Chapel. He was a general practitioner. [6]   Locate It
Dr Francis Bell – Located on 23 Pond St Newburyport.  He was a chiropractor.  Locate it
Dr Mack –
Dr. Dervan – Located on High St across from Buck St. His home office was  federal style design with the cupola on top.[5]
Dr Leary – Located on High St near Boardman St. [1] [2] [3]
Dr Johnson – Located on High St [1] [2]
Dr Melvin Ames [4]
This entry was posted on Monday, April 14th, 2008 and is filed under Uncategorized. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

10 Responses to “Doctors”

1. dmeaton on September 24th, 2008 at 11:12 pm

Dr Johnson, located High and Olive (I think?) Dr. Dervin High school side somewhere across from Boardman (Not sure), and Dr. Leary, Off of High street one of the side streets leading towards Merrimac in vacinity of High school

2. D.A.KUSE on September 25th, 2008 at 9:46 am

Nope dmeaton Dr.Johnson was on High and Buck I believe ,,Dr.Dervin was acrossed the street on High and Johnson.. Dr.Learys was down on High Street near Boardman

3. jfrost on November 29th, 2008 at 10:34 am

Dr. Leary was on High St. …He must have been one of the last to do house calls , trucking around in his old International Scout . Always hated going there for shots…

4. p. j. nichypor on July 7th, 2009 at 12:39 pm

Every family had their preference of which doctor they went to in town. As with most things then and even today, people had loyalties to medical care providers, services, and products. Back in “the day”, before health insurance made it increasingly difficult for a lot of families to afford health care, there were small doctor’s offices and “house calls”… We didn’t venture to the emergency room at the local hospital in an ambulance because of a “hang-nail”. Most of us, if we weren’t too ill or injured, would be driven in the family car or a neighbor’s car,( yes, there were some of us without motor vehicles ) to our “family doctor”. Some of those doctors had offices right in their homes. If one was not able to travel the usual short distance for an office visit, then the doctor would actually come to you, ( funny how obscene profits due to over inflated medical costs, corporate greed, and medical suppliers, to name just a few, can screw things up real badly…). Our family depended on Dr. Ames. Melvin Ames, who’s old black and white photo hung conspicuously with others on the wall of the public library entrance corridor. From the time I was able to read the names on each of those pictures, I always took a short pause to glance at that photograph of a much younger man in a military hat and uniform. As a young child I would think, hey, that’s Dr. Ames, the guy who came to my sick-bed so many times and made me well. And as I grew older I began to appreciate the reason for the modest display of his and a handful of other photographs on that wall. They had served their brethren and country in a time of great turmoil. Then had the where-with-all to continue serving their brethren and their community. Then, unlike now, you paid your bill to the doctor, for medical services rendered. No “middle man”, no impersonal monthly computer generated “statements”, demanding your “deductible”. If we needed a prescription filled, ( because Dr. Ames didn’t have that particular medicine with him), we went to Saunder’s Drug Store on Lime and Purchase Streets. Where Pricilla Saunder’s, like her father before her, would head out back to fill your “scrip”. We would walk passed the soda fountain, say “hi” to Gwen as we went by, step up one level through the doorway into one of several rooms in what had at one time been a family dwelling. Turning sharply to the right was the ancient wooden display rack holding dozens of “funny books”, ( comic books in Franklin St. lingo…). There were no rows of refrigerated and over-priced beverages, no expensive salt, sugar, and fat laden groceries, and no automotive or house-wares aisles. This was the simplicity of a family run business. The proprietors of which were also our friends whose houses we sometimes visited as guests. Or who’s children we were classmates and playmates of. Are we a better society today? Do our own children call us to ask if it would be okay to stay for lunch or dinner at the “Walgreen’s” or at the “Riteaid’s” house? Not too likely… Will the family doctor jump in his Jeep Wagoneer on a cold winter night and come to your home because your child is too sick in bed.? We took these things for granted, standing in that back room, trying to absorb as many “Archie”and “Batman” funny-books as we could, before Ms. Saunders came out of the pharmacy room with our prescription and it would be time to pay the then, modest fee before walking home. I am truly convinced that I am alive today due in great part to the care and dedication of a small group of people who were the “Family” doctors and pharmacists in our community. Thank you and God bless you Doctors Ames, Leary, Dervin, and all the others who watched over us so long ago.

5. Chanson on February 21st, 2010 at 9:52 am

Dr. Dervan’s office was on the High School side across from Buck St. His house/office was the one with the tower coupla thing on the front.

6. Helen Terry on October 24th, 2010 at 8:08 pm

The above mentioned Dr Kneller was not a pediatrician, he was a GP, general practicioner. He delivered my daughter, cared for my elderly parents & myself, Besides all this, to quote my daughter when she was only 3 “he was handsome in his big hat”!

7. Shawn G - Moderator on October 25th, 2010 at 10:27 pm

@ Helen – I’m glad someone else remembered Dr Kneller. I always thought he was a pediatrician, because I only went to him as a young child and then to Dr Mack as I got older. I will correct the entry- thanks.

8. D Cox on January 13th, 2011 at 12:17 pm

We had Dr Kneller whan I was growing up – I remember he did house calls in the 60’s and lived in the huge house on High ST near the Belleville Church – the house is now a bed and breakfast (my husband and I stayed there the night we got married after meeting up at our NHS 20th reunion). He saw Dr Dervan – had to go for sports physicals and was part of a big sports family (brothers and cousins) so when they would go to see Dr Dervan he would ask which family they were in.

9. Deadra Marino on January 29th, 2013 at 4:47 am

Very interesting topic, thanks for posting.

10. Maria Hayes Gilfus on February 19th, 2013 at 9:28 am

Our family doctor was Dr. Dervan and I remember him coming to our house a few times. If you went to his office on High Street (which was located in his home) you went in and waited for your turn – you did not make an appointment.