Convenience Stores / Corner Stores / Variety Stores

Convenience Stores / Corner Stores
Cumberland Farms – Located at corner of High St & Ashland St.
Unknown Corner Store – Located at Name Unknown, Corner of Broad & Merrimac St opposite Towle Silversmiths.
Fowler’s Meat Market – Located at the corner of High St and Myrtle Ave. The owner’s son took his own life if my memory is correct. I remember going there a few times with friends and seeing the son behind the meat counter at the rear of the store. He seemed to be a quiet type.
J.J. Newberry – Located on Pleasant St. More Info

North Shore Grain Company aka Penny Candy Store – Located on Merrimac St near Leary’s Package Store. The place was a grain feed store, but also sold penny candy. We used to call it the Cockroach Corner, due to the extreme smell of grain feed and the cluttered conditions inside. Behind the counter to the left as you entered was the location of all the penny candy. She would, the owner, be wearing a red smock as she pulled out a wax sandwich bag to fill it with candy. In those days no one seemed to care that she would pet the cat and proceed to touch the candy immediately afterwards. It was a magical time… Gone forever.

This entry was posted on Monday, April 14th, 2008 and is filed under Convienence Stores / Variety Stores, Food. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

46 Responses to “Convenience Stores / Corner Stores / Variety Stores”

1. Lori C on April 21st, 2008 at 4:10 am

Corners stores
    Tony Bakers on water st
    Padios(sp) on Prospect st across from the Brown school playground.

Izzies on Federal St and there was another store at the corner of Bromfield and Purchase I forget that one.. But my grandmother use to work there.

2. Lori C on April 21st, 2008 at 4:21 am

JJ Newberry Pleasant st.. Remember the use to have the balloons behind the counter and you’d throw a dart at the balloon and win something ,like .50 cents off a sundae.

3. D.A.KUSE on September 20th, 2008 at 8:25 am

The store on the corner of Broad and Merrimac was Reardon’s..I believe theowner got hurt some how and he closed it down

4. dmeaton on September 24th, 2008 at 10:53 pm

Thats right it was Reardons, and there was Jones store on Merrimac street next to Nicks PIzza. ther was also Andy’s not sure of correct name it was on the other side of NIcks PIzza where Magaret Leary(sp?) had her Dance school. there was one on pleasant street between Leightons Bakery and Port theater too.

5. dmeaton on September 24th, 2008 at 10:58 pm

Don’t forget Kreskies it was right next to J.J. Newberrys

6. dmeaton on September 24th, 2008 at 11:01 pm

Corner Store on Pleasant and Winter

7. D.A.KUSE on September 25th, 2008 at 9:48 am

Guess I got to take a ride through Good Olde Newburyport when I am down that way next month..see ya then dmeaton

8. D.A.KUSE on September 28th, 2008 at 9:25 am

Burmans on the corner of Winter and Washington Street by the train depot…Danny Healeys almost on the corner of Boardman and Washington Streets..Kunkels school supplys on State Street…Tony Bakers down on Water Street and Lime ..he had the best pepper steak…

9. D.A.KUSE on October 5th, 2008 at 10:09 pm

there was Canopies Package Store on the corner on Green and Merrimac…Sullivan and Lyons on the Corner of Low Street and Story Ave..it was nice to be Friend with Chris Lyons the owners son back then …then there was the First National Groceries across from the Mall..the General Store on the corner of Inn and Pleasant Store..

10. jfrost on November 27th, 2008 at 1:31 pm

Can’t forget Schartzes on the corner of Orange St. or Rochettes on the corner of Lime St. and Purchase St. …I forget the name of the Drug Store on the other corner of Purchase St. ( across from Rochettes AKA Knowles Package , South End Spirits…)

There was another on the corner of Federal and Orange too in the 70s .

11. jfrost on November 27th, 2008 at 8:31 pm

The other one on Lime St. was Stickneys Package across from the Brown School .

12. jfrost on November 27th, 2008 at 9:11 pm

Your right about Tony Bakers pepper steak ! He had good penny candy too …

13. p.j. nichypor on May 27th, 2009 at 12:58 am

Izzy’s was on Bromfield at Purchase. IGA on High St. at March’s Hill. Art Jubert’s on Purchase at Franklin, (also served as a post office). Patto’s on Prospect at Allen. Helen’s Mkt. on Federal at Orange. Paul Kessler’s also on Federal at Middle. Korny’s on Water; between Lime and Smith’ Ct. Tony’s Mkt. also on Water at Smith’s Ct. Billy Schwarts’s on Fair at Orange. Don’t forget the sedasonal (4th of July ) Emory’s. He sold glow snakes , slow matches, caps, and patriotic looking goods and toys from behind a chicken wire barrier.

14. p.j. nichypor on June 5th, 2009 at 1:04 am

One of the most recent of the “old” stores in downtown Newburyport to vanish, was Premier Market. It was located on Pleasant St. near Steven’s Mens’ Store before the Post Office. As a very young child, I remember going in with my aunt or my mother. The smell of fresh and beautifully displayed fruit filled the store. The Katz’s ran the place for decades. It is amazing that this little grocery store had survived and co-existed alongside “newer” generation establishments. And that it outlived most of them. What a wonderfull store it was to go to. The Katz’s always remembered you and could pretty much tell you your family history. As a legacy, I took my own young son there several years ago. It was if time stood still. And as expected, my son was told of my first venturing into the store so many years before. One of the two sisters helped him pick out an apple and peeled it for him while recounting a story of her ride on the venerable Boston to Portland “Flying Yankee”…Amongst other rememberances of other times and so many people. I will miss the place and I will most surely miss the smiling and friendly faces of the Katz’s on Pleasent St.. I have had the pleasure of seeing Sol and his one surviving sister just the day prior to this posting. I of course stopped and spoke with them, offering my best wishes. As expected, they knew me from the old days, just as if time stood still…

15. jhw on June 10th, 2009 at 2:15 pm

Bea, Gladys, and Sol owned and operated Premier. It was a throwback to an earlier time. The first time I entered the store (as an adult), Bea & Gladys insisted they knew me. After 20 questions, I was identified as the grandson and grand nephew of two old customers from 78th St, on the island. I didn’t remember the store, but Bea & Gladys said my grandmother brought me there as a child on her shopping trips. We became friends & neighbors. Even though I have moved away from the port, I think of them often. Shalom

16. p.j. nichypor on July 1st, 2009 at 11:01 pm

Another familiar south end business bites the dust. Gone is Stickney’s on Lime St. opposite the Brown School. The store had been there for as long as I can remember. Word around town was that some people felt its location so near to a school was a bad thing… I don’t know about anybody else who grew up in that neighborhood, but I was never forced into that establishment as a minor and made to buy alcoholic beverages. In fact, most of the kids from around there went in to buy a bag of chips or candy… None of us were ever accosted by drunks or by anyone for that matter. Thing is, who ever was behind the counter referred to us by name and usually asked us how one or both of our parents were doing. It seems that per usual, a minority of people that really and truly believe they need to protect everyone else from dangers that weren’t there in the first place. Are these the same crowd that don’t like train horns being used at grade crossings? Or the same bunch that just hate those pesky airplanes landing at an air-strip that was in business decades before they “chose” to invade town and over develop Newburyport… Stickney’s, like Rochette’s a block north and Chagro’s a few streets away were never a “threat” to the children of the south end. They were looked upon as what they actually were, neighbors, families, friends…. My advice to the “witch hunters” how about a nice bake sale or better yet, a “book burning”…

17. jfrost on July 3rd, 2009 at 10:19 am

I stopped at “Stickneys” almost daily . Bob Semergian ( sp ? ) was a great guy . Was very sorry to hear that he had passed . Spent many hours chatting with Bob . Funny how things that for decades is never a problem …suddenly become an issue for some !

18. p. j. nichypor on July 6th, 2009 at 11:58 am

At the end of the school year in the mid 1960’s, we south end kids looked forward to not only summer vacation , but also to “Emory’s”. This was a once a year business set up usually somewhere in the south end in a vacant store. One location was on Lime Street between Atwood and School Streets, next to “Muriel’s” hair salon. The “store” was stocked with a vast assortment of 4th of July novelties. These included “slow matches”, “fake” cherry bombs, smoke bombs, “glow worms”, sparklers, etc.. Inside the small single room, we were confronted with a “chicken wire” barrier. I assume that it had been put in place by Mr. Emory to prevent us from depleting his inventory by means other than through legitimate purchase, (known in south end lingo as HAWKING). We would wait or turn just outside the door until we were waved in by the proprietor, ( he only allowed a manageable small group of 3-4 kids in at a time). Once inside, we would point to the “gawky” item or items we wished to buy, hand over our allowance or bottle money, and be ushered out so as to allow the next customers in. I know that I must still have a metal “cap rocket” or a “blow tube” parachute launcher kicking around in the back of some junk drawer or box in the attic. Oh yeah, summer was great as a kid.

19. F. Rogers on August 27th, 2009 at 9:40 pm

I remember Matthews Market across the steet from the Currier School on Forrester St and dont forget about Fowles Market on High St. which also had the Best Pepper Steak.

20. p. j. nichypor on November 1st, 2009 at 2:33 pm

Some remembrance of the things we used to spend our pennies, nickles, and dimes on, back in the day. After raiding the family “Penny” jar, or finding “Tonic” bottles to return for two cents, you got to spend some loot at one of the many corner stores in the South End. What you bought was dependant on which was the closest establishment to your money source. This was a precautionary thing that assured us that you wouldn’t be “Liberated” of your money by any number of tough kids you could be intercepted by, ( as was a very real threat to most of us then). It was not inconceivable that on the way to a store, you could be stopped by one or more of these “Hooligans”. they would offer up a “Threat”, something like, “We’ll kill you if you don’t give us your money”… You would of course deny the existence of any coinage or currency. At this point, you were ordered to turn out your pockets to prove you were indeed travelling light. Having the good sense to conceal my money in one of my Keds, i was free to go with a simple hard punch to the shoulder or just being spit on and threatened with something about “next time”… Once out of sight or safely at a point of distance that would allow a sprint to safe territory, we could go to the store. If I was near Tony’s, I would select a couple of slices of cheese. Or, I would choose either a “Dill” or “Sour” pickle. These delicacies were kept on the counter right next to the register. Upon request, Stanley or Tony would open the metal lid and plunge a hand into the green liquid that the pickles were stored in. I would be asked which one I wanted and would guide the hand by pointing at what looked to be the biggest one. It took me a while to figure out that this former cucumber didn’t actually shrink instantly upon being exposed to air… I finally made the connection through a kid’s logic, that the pickles were not big at all. And that Stan’s hand did not become big only when immersed in pickle juice. It was the liquid and the jar… This became known as the “Pickle Jar Effect”. And I have applied it to things to this day. For instance, a T.V. commercial that shows a food “treat” offered up by some big name fast food establishment. Some how doesn’t quite measure up in actuality, that’s the “Pickle Jar Effect”. Some of the other various items that were popular, were, the 5 cent bag of chips, a “fake” and tiny, sundae, ( made of stale marshmallow). Candies such as the venerable “Squirrel Nut”, that could coax the most stubborn filling from a tooth when chewed, ( also the equally adhesive “Mint Julep” candy). The impossibly huge ” Jumbo Jaw Breaker”… “Bubs Daddy”, “Sugar Daddy”, “Sugar Baby”, ( no “Sugar Mamma”…) Racism was also alive and well in those days, with the insensitive and outrageous reference to “Licorice Babies”. The candy bead filled “Flying Saucer”, or a “Hot Ball”. How about those cardboard tubes you blew through to shoot a cellophane parachute into the air? “Funny Books”, ( comic books) could be had for 12 cents, ( A “Jumbo” funny book was a quarter). A bottle of “Tonic” was also 12 cents. That was actually 10 cents if you drank it in the store and turned the empty vessel in to the provided rack. If you wished to take it with you, you would be required to fork over an additional 2 cents, ( the deposit…). Save up or find enough of these empties, and you had spending money. There were Popsicles, Fudgesicles, “Drumsticks”, ( a flat topped, ice cream filled cone), and the much coveted “Creamsicle”… All could be had for a nickle, ( or a dime for the Drumstick). If we were lucky enough to make it downtown to Kresge’s or Newberry’s “Dime Stores”, we could spend our money on some well chosen items. One of my and my brother’s favorites were the “Animals of the World”. These toys came in a small box that claimed to contain a “Hand Painted” and “Finely Crafted” representation of the animal pictured on the outside of the box. These were a dime each and we had collected several. Now I don’t know who the manufacturer hired at the time to hand paint them, but I’m confident that they were in dire need of “eye-glasses”. What with the painted eyeballs always being too large and out of scale as to have the animal appear to be very surprised. And not being an expert on the creatures of the wild as a child, I at least knew that the placement of said eyeballs was incorrect when applied to an ear or leg. We had fun with them any way. Don’t forget the balsa airplanes that lasted maybe a dozen throws before the flimsy wood “Self Destructed”, or just ended up on someones roof. Or the “Superball”, advertised on Saturday mornings during the several hours of cartoons we watched. I got my first “Fat LIp” from mine… It rebounded as advertised, hit my mouth and nearly lifted my then 60 lb. frame off the ground… The 10 cent “Pinky” ball was the safe and less expensive alternative to the superball, or a “Whiffleball”, ( not to be confused with the “Whiffle” haircut that was popular in Joppa at the time). I also had a “Siren” ring I had bought at Jubert’s store on Franklin St.. At the time of purchase, I was mistaken in hearing it called a “Sirem” ring… As I was later displaying it to my pals, I explained that the animal that resembled an Elephant, crudely stamped on this cheap ring was not an Elephant at all, but a “Sirem”. I didn’t make the connection at the time, but ran around the neighborhood blowing into the mechanical assembly of the toy and producing a siren-like sound… ( Hey, I was young… ). So many treats and toys could be had for a few cents then. We kids didn’t have a chance of saving “dime one” with so many temptations. Later on when I got older and had an allowance, ( first it was 25 cents and then 50 cents a week), I got hooked on “Matchbox” cars. I still have them and take them out once in a while. I wish I had saved a lot of the “stuff” I collected as a kid. Even those plastic animals with the mis-placed eyeballs…

21. J. Frost on November 1st, 2009 at 3:58 pm

They still make those cheap balsa wood gliders ( Paul A. Guillows Co. ) Somewhere in Mass. and is probably one of the few items still made here . Some of us still build their horriffic models …( actually there is a large following ) of Mr. Guillows “kits” , which are most noted for their “iron” like balsa . Many choose to substitute it for a finer grade . But despite the complaints they are some very sought after models even today ( worldwide )
    One of my best flying RC electric models is the Guillows SBD Dauntless WWII divebomber . So I guess those cheap little gliders had a lasting affect on this guy …seeing I still build them today .
    Flies better than my first control line model ( A Cox P40 ) which after seeming like days of trying to get it started , it finally breathed to life with its little .049 engine . we “raced” down to Cashman Park to try her out . My stepdad got it going and we were in the air . Trouble is being a kid and not to coordinated I got dizzy , fell down and crashed it into the pavement …I think remnants of my beloved P40 can still be found there today !

22. p. j. nichypor on November 2nd, 2009 at 9:36 am

Yes, Guillows is still in business in Wakefield, MA. I remember trying to stay on my feet with a control line plane. Mine was a Styrofoam version of some imaginary aircraft. It had and electric motor built into the nose section. Power was supplied to it via a cable/control line connected to a battery pack that had a button on it for on or off. I got to use it twice… The first time, I got so dizzy that I almost threw up. The second and last time, I stumbled from the effects of spinning and slammed the plane into the side of the garage. Chunks of Styrofoam were everywhere. I was left with an electric motor powered propeller that was still kind of fun to play with until it got too hot to hold. Not quite as hot as my first molten plastic burn while attempting to incinerate a model car.

23. J. Frost on November 3rd, 2009 at 8:23 pm

Electric RC has been a boost to old kit companies like Guillows . What was considered a dream back then is all possible now with the affordable gear .
    One of my favorite fun classes in school was model airplanes . Our teacher ( Ted Kyrios ? sp ? seemed a master of sorts at building some great looking planes from balsa and the “dope & tissue” . Not being one of the more “well off” kids , I was limited to the cheaper rubber powered freeflight models . Spent hours building these creations and took no notice of “important factors” like building it without twist and correct balance . Of course we’d take them out , wind the rubber band driven prop and let her go …a steep climb …stall…crash …ugggg !
    I got away from model planes for many years , because the cost of the really “cool” stuff was just not feasable . Now with all the imported equipment just about anyone can do it . Trouble is now kids don’t want to be bothered . Might cut into their X-Box time . Hobby shops used to be everywhere …now they are a thing of the past ! The ones you do find now are basically where you go to get it already made ( plane , transmitter, and batteries ) all ready to go . And if you do happen to find one , and you ask for a “balsa kit” they look at you like your from Mars …Very few build anymore , especially when you can get the latest shiny new model from China made from bamboo and cuckoo spit for half cost of a “kit” …If you can find one !

24. stan on December 30th, 2009 at 11:36 am

correction…. Under convience stores…. next to Tony Bakers Store… is PATTOWS… across from the Brown School… was called … Jippo’s

25. stan on December 30th, 2009 at 11:39 am

Answer to #10… The store on the corner of Lime and Purchace was /…Saunders Drug Store…

26. stan on December 30th, 2009 at 11:40 am

Korni’s market .. .just below Tony Bakers Store

27. stan on December 30th, 2009 at 11:42 am

Addition to #13… Befoe it was Jouberts store.. it was Gus Mularkey’s … went to school with Bob Mularkey

28. stan on December 30th, 2009 at 11:44 am

across from Gus Mularkey’s store was Horace Foley’s barber shop…where he moved too from where Izzy’s store was … corner of Bromfield and Purchace

29. stan on December 30th, 2009 at 11:48 am

Addition to #13… Carl Emery was the brother to Big Brother Bob Emery… remember… So long small fry.. its time to say good bye… come back again.. tomorrow night and then… we’ll have more fun… there’s some for every one.. so dont forget we have a date.. tomorrow nite so dont be late.. .so small fry .. so long
    long long ago… were good times

30. stan on December 30th, 2009 at 11:51 am

Cashmans’s Hardware… next too Thread Needle Ally….. Peavey’s in Market Square
    Ocean Grill..corner of State and Middle….. Dede’s … on state street around the corner from Market Square…. Wein and Checks garage… corner of Liberty and market square… went to school with Dotty Wein

31. Bob on January 10th, 2010 at 9:46 pm

yes, the old fellow with the accent on purchase street Izzy’s … my mom sent me for a box of salt and it was ten cents. Penny candy at Jubert’s near Jackman … okay so if I still had the baseball cards that came in a packet with gum for five cents at Pattows, I’d be wealth today … you know, the players from the impossible dream team

32. chanson on February 21st, 2010 at 10:40 pm

Did anyone mention the Corner Store at the corner of Washington and Winter St? It was a nice little store with what was arguably the best sub shop in town in the

33. chanson on February 21st, 2010 at 10:43 pm

My father used to bring me into Premier Market and I had the same experiences others have posted. He told me that they used to by Christmas trees there. I wish I had the opportunity to bring my son in there. The smell of the fruit in there can never be duplicated.

34. GaryB on March 18th, 2010 at 5:24 pm

Reading some earlier posts I see that many remember the Katz’s from Premier Market on Pleasant St. I just learned that today Gladys passed away this morning March, 18, 2010 and a funeral will be held tomorrow March 19 in Newburyport. I do not have the details. Saul will now be the keeper and teller of all the great stories and history.

35. chanson on March 21st, 2010 at 9:42 am

I just saw that Gladys Katz who ran Premier market with her brother and sister died Thursday March 18 2010. Sad day.

36. Dmsouther on June 26th, 2010 at 7:57 am

My dad owned the country pumpkin on market st in the late 70s i remember being the only store open on the snow storm of 78. My dad had me delivering to the elderly milk,bread,and lets not forget ciggs

37. Paula Hartford-Jackson on July 14th, 2010 at 1:34 am

What ever happened to the Lyons family that was part owner of Sullivan & Lyons Package Store? I was also friends with Chris Lyons.

38. Michelle Chooljian on September 29th, 2010 at 6:48 pm

Is Leighton’s Bakery still there? I loved their Bismark’s.

39. p. j. nichypor on October 6th, 2010 at 3:38 pm

Now “Condos”… My son and I were in there on the last day of business and bought a cookie. It came in a bag with a Leighton’s label. We have it preserved in our freezer as a relic of the old and nearly vanished Newburyport. My dream is to buy and then tear down the condos along Merrimack St . next to the old City Barn site. On that lot, I will rebuild “Jake’s” Cafe. Anyone care to help get the wrecking ball going by making the first contribution to the “Restore Old Newburyport” movement?

40. Susan M on January 11th, 2011 at 7:22 pm

TO STAN(from #24-30)

Would you please get in touch with me regarding Gus Mullarkey (my grandfather) never met him passed before I was born & Bob Mullarkey (my dad…who too has passed).
    I am trying to get information on him heard somethings growing up and want to share with my child and pass on the memories
    email: susan030499@yahoo.com

41. John on May 9th, 2011 at 12:36 pm

Does anyone know what the old coca cola sign said in Threadneedle alley at 38 State Street (Rockfish)?

I can read the coca cola part, but can’t make out the sign on top. It looks like “Sugar Bowl”, then references soda and cigars. Was this a diner or store perhaps?

Thanks!

42. Rollie on September 12th, 2011 at 5:50 pm

Fowle’s Market at High and Myrtle was our place in the North End. It was owned by Joe Vigneault – a friend of my father – he used to cash my Dad’s checks for him at the store. Sorry to hear his son took his own life – I knew him growing up as the young guy in the back who cut the meat. Fowle’s was a great penny candy joint – not to be confused with Fowle’s News downtown where I would pick up my monthly supply of pro wrestling magazines!

43. Digger O'Dell on November 5th, 2012 at 12:41 pm

chanson on February 21st, 2010 at 10:40 pm
    Canoper’s corner store where I first had a cherry coke. It had a great fountain and candy section and a large news/ magazine section.

44. Melissa on August 17th, 2013 at 3:39 pm

Does anyone remember Esbensens spelling is probably off on that one…It was a bakery on Water Street..They had the best Marzipan cakes and pasteries.

45. Karon on August 18th, 2013 at 4:15 pm

Melissa – That was one of the best bakeries in the area during the 70s. Epicure Products still occupied the Charles Street factory across the street. My parents were friends with the couple and I remember having dinner with them in their upstair’s apartment. There was a pastry they made that was shaped like a pan cake wedge. On the inside it had white cake layered with a fruit filling then a creme filling, all covered with a white confectionery coating and colored ‘jimmies’ on either side of the pastry. I can taste it now. I have never seen one of those again and I have looked.
    They were very kind people and I know they did very good business with the factory across the street.

46. Karon on August 18th, 2013 at 4:29 pm

I remember going to Stickney’s Package after school to buy penny candy: ‘squirrel nuts’ and ‘swedish fish’. There was also that really good penny candy store down by the old Towle’s factory. I never had a sub at the Corner Store, but do remember the subs from Fahlita’s (sp?) on State Street during the 70s.