Bowling Lanes

Bowling Lanes

Port Bowling Lanes, owner Leo Gagnon and wife.  Located on Story Ave.   Locate It

Silver Trophy

Silver Trophy

The Belleville School PTA had a student bowling league in the 70’s at the Port Bowling Lanes after school.  At the end of the league season there were awards presented at an annual awards night.  I believe the trophy’s consisted of  Gold, Silver and Bronze.  The awards were presented in the upstairs rec room.  The bowling lanes were downstairs.

The original building burned to the ground in the early 80’s. It was across from the Belleville Cemetery.

This entry was posted on Sunday, April 13th, 2008 and is filed under Amusement Parks, Bowling Lanes, Featured, Recreation. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

9 Responses to “Bowling Lanes”

1. John Del Genio on July 1st, 2008 at 4:51 pm

The Newburyport Recreation was built in the mid 1950’s and had historical signifigance as the first bowling alley building designed to fit automatic pinsetters with room to work on them and not just shoehorned in. The top level was a roller skating rink while the bowling alley was in the basement. The Gagnon’s sold the business to Tony & Rose Del Genio (my parents) during the summer of 1979. The complex’s name was shortened to Port Rec Center and the bowling alley was Clipper City Bowl and the skating rink was Clipper City Skating. We operated the bowling alley and skating rink until renting out the skating rink area to Port Gymnastics around 1982. Around 1 AM on the morning of Tuesday, November r 19 ?, 1984 a power surge caused an electrical fire that quickly spread throughout the wood framed building. Fortunately the Port Women’s bowling league had just finished a few hours earlier and the building was empty. The Newburyport Fire Department and other responders did a great job of containing the fire until a water main was lost around 3AM and during the time a line was run to another main the fire was able to spread throughout the building. The building also housed Hersey’s Pharmacy, Dede’s Bus Stop and Diner, Bob’s Barber Shop and the Meat Market. One memory engrained into my mind of that event was around 7AM when the fire was essentially out, one of the fire fighters came out of the freezer of the Meat Market with a side of beef on his pike and deciding it wasn’t quite done yet and putting it back in.

2. Martin Crowley on July 11th, 2008 at 11:59 pm

I will never forget going to a bithday party there when I was about 12. It was a Saturday night and I was scared to death walking past the Park Circle. The party itself was uneventfull unitl we were leaving. Outside, there was a massive brawl between High Schoolers. All I rememeber is 2 of the Macaniff brothers beating the S*%t of of 4-5 guys. Blood everywhere. That’s my lasting memory of the “Rec”

3. D.A.KUSE on September 21st, 2008 at 9:58 am

Oh god I lived at the Port Rec for years..remember having blister on my feet from Rolling Skating for hours..then Blisters on my feet from Ice Skating all winter at The Mall..oh yes it was the norm for some kinda of fight at The Rec ..Friday and Saturday …if it was not between the South Endeds and the North Endeds..it was between The Kids from Seabrook…I was lucky when it was Seabrook Kids came to The Rec sense most of my relative were from The Brook as they called it back then..boy those were the days ..to bad Newburyport has changed so much..alot of Memories for me growing up there..who remembers when they Councilors at the Parks you could go there all day and do stuff…..we had a Softball Team and would go to the Salisbury Reservation once a week to swim ..I know they were at Cashman Park thats the area I grew up ,,then there was Perkins Playground they had a team ..not sure but there was four teams or more anyone remember…TO BE A KID AGAIN in Newburyport..those were the good Olde Days

4. D.A.KUSE on September 21st, 2008 at 9:28 pm

AND THERE WAS ANOTHER BOWLING ALLEY NEAR THE SQUARE CALLED DOMINICS..NEAR BOSSY GILLIS’S GAS STATION

5. B. Denning on February 11th, 2009 at 12:50 am

Some of my fondest memories growing up in Newburyport involved the Saturday Morning Youth Bowling League at Port Rec! (Followed by pizza at Papa Gino’s)

John (post #1), I remember you well, even the red sox game you took some of us regular players to one Patriots Day.

6. stan on December 31st, 2009 at 12:34 pm

I bowled on the same team, KingPins, at the rec. for 18 years.. Before it was a bowling alley .. it was Lefty Mitchells Garage…Lefty converted it too Port Rec… and ran it for a number of years.. then Leo Gagnon took it over.. Was a sad day when it burned..

7. Todd B on January 17th, 2010 at 12:37 pm

I think we all spent a good deal of time at the Port Rec growing up, both upstairs and down stairs, what a great memory. And I remember Leo too not just from ” The Rec”, but from when I worked at Towle Silver as well. I also remember going to the bowling alley in the square near Bossy’s , wow that was a long time ago.

8. mr on January 29th, 2010 at 4:03 pm

Who could forget Lefty at the Port Rec! He was quite a character. I still have some of those trophies from the old Rec student bowling league.

9. D Cox on January 13th, 2011 at 1:27 pm

The original owners – Lefty and Ruth Mitchell were family – I grew up at the Rec (Lefty passed away around 1980 – Ruth in 2007 or 2008.