Boating

River and Sea 1950 – 1990

The Captain Red –

The New Englander _

Hilton’s Fishing Dock – Owner George Hilton.

This entry was posted on Sunday, April 13th, 2008 and is filed under Fishing & Cruises, Recreation. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

11 Responses to “Boating”

1. p.j. nichypor on May 27th, 2009 at 12:11 am

The Knickerbocker, the steam tug Sadie Ross towed in by the Corbins, sank same day at dock-side, foot of Green St. The steamboat Sabino. The clipper ship replica Flying Cloud. The submarine SS Haddock, scrapped by Jake Checkoway at the old Rangelight marina. The abandoned steamboat Emeta, grounded on Rings Island.The Coast Guard Cutter, General Greene. And the “boat” island up river on the Haverhill shore…

2. p.j. nichypor on May 27th, 2009 at 12:15 am

Forgot the Ferro Queen, a cement fishing boat that also sank, ( Not what you think. Looked more like an insurance job…) Still on the bottom and shown on nautical chart off Plum Island.

3. Jeffrey R Strout on June 22nd, 2009 at 9:00 pm

hell yes i was 12 and working on the boats then….George hilton, rick the mate, joe jansawich and the crew. Those were good times I wish Red Hilton and Bill Strout were still with us ,,,

Jeff Strout
    now in Palm beach florida…..

Hey yall

4. Jeffrey R Strout on June 22nd, 2009 at 9:01 pm

I believe the skipper was Dick Dblasio

5. g travis on June 24th, 2009 at 9:56 pm

DID YOU GO TO TRITON JEFF STROUT? IF SO I THINK I WENT TO TRITON WITH YOU .

6. Jeffrey Strout on July 11th, 2009 at 8:11 pm

Yes i was at triton when it opened then moved in 1973 to florida now in palm beach….

Alan bieling moved to florida at the same time….Karen Capalupo was here a lot for years…

so hi from j strout…give me ashout…jrstrout@msn.com

7. Jeffrey Strout on July 11th, 2009 at 9:40 pm

H&S Marine Technologies of Jupiter Inlet palm Beach Florida will be bidding on the captain red in august and plans to introduce the palm beaches to a new kind of boating…No we will not be whale watching…Watch for Strouts Landings north Central and south florida bringing Xstream Excursions to the un molestedd waterways of florida…You will never want to go to disney world again.

Florida tourism is fixin to get set on it’s butt….

Yankee inginuity hmmm what a concept…

See yawl

Jeffrey sttrout

H&S Marine Technologies

561-644-1847

8. p. j. nichypor on December 1st, 2009 at 8:16 pm

The Steamboat Sabino, meticulously restored to full operating condition by Phil Corbin and family on Ring’s Island was a welcome Newburyport attraction for a few years in the mid 60’s. Its steam whistle was heard daily as it plied the waters of the Merrimack on excursions to the river mouth as well as trips to Deer Island and further up stream to Haverhill waters. Between runs, the vessel was docked on the Salisbury side of the river near the Corbin’s property on that waterfront. A friend of mine at the time, told me how excited he was to be part of a Kelly School field trip that was to be treated to a ride on the popular boat on afternoon. As Mike tells it, the story took a scary and almost tragic turn. Apparently, the approach to the Sabino was by a short fixed pier, down a ramp, and onto a series of “Floating” piers. As the group of student walked toward the boat on those floats, one or more either sank or the railings broke, or both. Several of terrified kids ended up in the river. Fortunately, the tide was out and they were able to climb out of the waist deep muddy water. The “Up side” was that the owners provided them with a free ride… Nowadays, I’m sure that Jim Sockolov would be getting rich on the lawsuits from such an incident. Credit due to Mike Duggin, formerly of Winter St and later, White’s Ct in Newburyport.

9. Mark on August 11th, 2010 at 12:26 am

The Corbins were family friends of my family (Phil’s daughter Dale and my mother have been best friends since they were small children), and I vaguely remember the Sabino. I was about five or so when they sold it. I remember Irene Corbin (Phil’s wife), who was one of the most delightful people you could ever encounter, telling of how she decorated the Sabino, after Phil had completed restoration. She had gotten ahold of the red velvet curtain from the old Strand Theatre, when they demolished it, and used that to make curtains for the Sabino. They operated it for a few years, and I did ride once, but I was about four, so I barely remember.

10. donald brown jr on April 18th, 2014 at 4:58 pm

my mom ruby j Richards and my grandfather eddie Richards used to live in one of the small cabins on his property.mom and dale where best friends. I remember phil when I was a young boy living in rings island swimming off the pier was a joy back when I was young.i remember my dad taking me down behind the fire station where there was a submarine .and of course bossy gilous and his gas station next to the old fire house.when my mom and dad got married dale stood up for them they where married in phil house. how I wish those days where still here

11. Rick Betz on December 29th, 2016 at 9:39 pm

I just stumbled onto this page looking for a head boat I used to fish when living in North Andover in the early 70’s. The boat was the Capt Red, and I believe the Capt’s name was George at the time. I was a young 20 something then, and the memories are wonderful. Had never jigged for big cod before, but became quite good at it. I was a member of the “Tackle Busters Club”. There used to be a regular named Sarge. It was such an experience such a long time ago. Would love to see a pic from that era.